Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/14 17:39:38 UTC

0.9.0 Release

Speaking of 0.9.0...

Unless someone else gets to it first, I’d like to target getting 0.9.0 out early in January.  IMO, the blockers are probably the documentation patches:

	YETUS-683 - publish apache/yetus docker images
	YETUS-731 - yetus-maven-plugin javadocs
	YETUS-732 - releasedocmaker javadocs
	YETUS-733 - shelldocs javadocs
	YETUS-734 - /apidocs needs to be removed from site build

Feature-wise, I’m looking at getting at least 3 more in:

	YETUS-727 - whitespace plugin: multiple fixes
	YETUS-723 - Docker overhaul (which will close a bunch of outstanding issues)
        YETUS-724 - GitHub diff vs. patch

What do other people think?  As it currently stands, this is a very major upgrade (with I think at least some BW-compat breakage) but will probably be in high demand due to all of the GitHub activity. [Native PR support!]

Re: 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

Just an FYI:

	There are only 5 issues remaining on the list for 0.9.0, barring any other issues that may come up.

		https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/YETUS/versions/12343819

	Assuming these get committed (reviewed or via LC), I’ll be cutting a release candidate minimally on Friday based upon the LC date.    Since I’m going to be on a plane on Sunday on my way to a vacation, I haven't thought about when the RC would end since that won’t be enough time to vote. :(

PS:  I’ve dropped some features and made a 0.10.0 release in JIRA to keep track of them.  Maybe we’ll do 0.9.1 instead or something.

Re: 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com.INVALID>.

> On Dec 14, 2018, at 12:01 PM, Sean Busbey <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Early January sounds good to me. I'm unlikely to find time before then to
> run one myself.
>
> Given the improvements queued here for using yetus outside of the ASF, what
> would remain for us to cross into 1.0+ versioning?

	That’s a great question.  There are lots of fit ’n finish JIRA issues that’d be nice to have but obviously not required. Going through the list of everything open:

	- YETUS-721 comes to mind as at least needing a direction.  It’s probably a discussion that should be had on the mailing list.
	- YETUS-705 impacts me directly, so I’ll almost certainly bang on it relatively soon
	- YETUS-688 should probably be worked on since it’ll be a major API change
	- YETUS-601 might be required for cloud-based JIRA? I don’t remember anymore.
	- YETUS-571 is probably a simple fix for a probably we’re more likely to start seeing if people use the Docker images
	- YETUS-559 … I’ll update that JIRA, because I think I have a hunch that it’s not actually the generic maven ordering being a problem, but the actual ‘mvn install’ phase needs to default to root… which is probably something _all_ build tools should be doing.
	- YETUS-291 This sort of fell off my radar.  Do we still want to change the logo?
	- YETUS-100 This might be covered now, but will look at it.  This is probably a good one to get done sooner rather than later.
	- YETUS-21 Someone should probably play with this patch to make sure it works as expected.  If it works well, maven users will probably want it.

	I skipped going through the annotations bugs.  I feel like someone should spend a weekend with it to clean it up, make it build/work with JDK11, etc, etc.  Probably should also see what Hadoop has done with their version just to see if there is anything that should be ported over.

Re: 0.9.0 Release

Posted by Sean Busbey <se...@gmail.com>.
Early January sounds good to me. I'm unlikely to find time before then to
run one myself.

Given the improvements queued here for using yetus outside of the ASF, what
would remain for us to cross into 1.0+ versioning?