Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2006/11/15 18:51:55 UTC

check_rbl and DNSBL lookups

I am trying to go through and remove some of the DNSBL lookups that are
being performed. I have found previous posts that state just set the
meta rule to a score of 0 to disable. I have also found previous posts
that state only these evals are performing lookups: check_rbl,
check_rbl_txt and check_rbl_envfrom. And that check_rbl_sub do not
perform a lookup, but use previous rules. What about check_rbl_accreditor?

Furthermore, looking in 20_dnsbl_tests.cf I see this:

header __RCVD_IN_NJABL                eval:check_rbl('njabl',
'combined.njabl.org.')
header RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL      eval:check_rbl('njabl-lastexternal',
'combined.njabl.org.', '127.0.0.3')
header __RCVD_IN_SORBS                eval:check_rbl('sorbs',
'dnsbl.sorbs.net.')
header RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      eval:check_rbl('sorbs-lastexternal',
'dnsbl.sorbs.net.', '127.0.0.10')
header __RCVD_IN_SBL_XBL      eval:check_rbl('sblxbl',
'sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.')
header RCVD_IN_XBL            eval:check_rbl('sblxbl-lastexternal',
'sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.', '127.0.0.[456]')

Am I missing something? It seems to me that all of the -lastexternal
lines will perform duplicate DNS lookups from the previous line, perhaps
just a little bit later. I of course run a caching name server, but it
does seem to be an extra query and those lines could be changed into
check_rbl_sub.

Thanks,

Richard

Re: check_rbl and DNSBL lookups

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
 From what I can tell, you give a score of 0 to the check_rbl,
check_rbl_txt, and check_rbl_envfrom rules you don't want to run.
check_rbl_sub are based off of those rules. However, I have not been
able to find the documentation for this.

 From my testing, you would give __RCVD_IN_SBL_XBL a score of 0 to
disable RCVD_IN_SBL. You would then need to give RCVD_IN_XBL a score of
0 to disable that lookup. From what I can tell, that list is checked
twice based off of those rules.

Richard

Posted by Jeremy Fairbrass <jf...@hotmail.com>.