Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com> on 2002/11/08 23:02:56 UTC

RE: Message Resources

Hi David,

> Is that code slated to be part of Struts or is it published somewhere?

ummm...No and Yes

My initial implementation of MessageResources is complete and works quite
nicely (as a matter of fact).  I am in the process of refactoring the code
to fit into the resources subproject under commons sandbox.
I'm also planning to add support for Torque, simper, custom DAO, whatever.

What will probably happen is that there will be a commons DBMessageResources
and then a Struts specific DBMessageResources (e.g. Validator), although I
don't think the Struts piece will become part of the distribution.  At best,
I'm guessing it might make it into contrib.

It is ready to run, but before downloading and trying this out, you should
know that it uses OJB (under the covers) to access the database and pull the
resources required for your running app.  Don't let that scare you off,
because adding/changing the configuration is trivial and anyone can do it.
I mention this only because it fits well if you are already using it.

I am also working on a management utility that lets you visually maintain
the bundle values using your own running app.

So where is the code?
It lives on my lonely server (at home), but I have plans to move it to
sf.net under the struts project.

  http://www.open-tools.org/struts-atlanta/downloads

If the page comes up unavailable, let me know and I'll send it to you via
email.  It is 3.6 MB and includes the struts-example modified to use this
extension.

All you need to do is:
 1. Run the database script on the database you plan to use.
      (WARNING - Make sure you understand what you are running)
 2. Change the repository.xml with your own connection info (basic
datasource stuff)
 3. Run ant on the build.xml in the root directory.
 4. Deploy the resulting war file

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)