Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Si...@DCSTRANS.COM on 2002/04/16 15:47:28 UTC

Only retrieving a few documents from a collection with a very large number of documents in it

Hi,

We  are  developing a project using Xindice to store a lot of XML documents
of various types.
Some  of these collections could end up with millions of documents (None of
the documents are very large at the moment).

There  doesn't  seem  to  be  a  way  to tell the XPathSearchEngine to only
retrieve say 20 documents, as there is in JDBC/ODBC type implementations.

Without this facility, searches could take absolutely ages.  We were hoping
that by intelligent use of indexes we could keep search times reasonable.

Can anyone tell me how to only retrieve a certain size in the result set?

If  we can't do it, we would have to go about extracting items of data from
the XML documents into a traditional RDBMS.  But we really don't want to do
that..

Regards,

Simon Godden
Research and Development Manager