Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2019/04/23 01:04:38 UTC

Triaging JIRA issues

Hi Accumulo Devs,

As you may have noticed (or not) from the recent barrage of emails to
the notifications@ list, I'm trying to triage and close as many open
JIRA issues as possible, so the ones that are left represent
meaningful work.
I want to do this to help complete the transition from JIRA to GitHub
issues shortly after the 2.0 release (if not before).

I'd prefer not to simply ignore all those issues, though... because
some are actually still bugs, and some might be important, but
forgotten. I also don't want to naively move all of those remaining to
GitHub and create a sea of noise there.

So, I'm trying to triage them, starting with the low-hanging fruit in
the first few passes, to reduce the noise as quickly as possible. In
the last week, we've closed about 10%, leaving around 800 left, but
that's still only a dent. The faster the low-hanging fruit gets
cleared out, the better off we are, but after the low-hanging fruit
gets cleared out, the remaining issues are going to take successively
longer to triage, fix, and/or close, so it's not like one or two
people can keep up the 10% per week pace. Help is needed.

There are at least two easy ways to help if you anybody wishes to:
1. Triage issues that you have reported yourself, and close ones that
are unimportant or no longer applicable or
2. Find trivial/easy/fast issues to create a pull request to fix, so
we can close them as soon as they are fixed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Christopher

Re: Triaging JIRA issues

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me. Probably won't get too far, so still value in
working through independently, as we've been doing, also.

Re: Triaging JIRA issues

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.