Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Somik Raha <so...@industriallogic.com> on 2003/12/16 18:41:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Charset problems with Apache 2.0

Hi
    I am trying to serve japanese pages on our server, but the pages keep coming back as garbage in apache 2.0 (they work fine in apache 1.3).
    Here's the page :
    http://industriallogic.com/games/pairdraw_jp.html

I have this line in httpd.conf:

AddCharset shift_jis    .sjis

I looked through the archives and there was one post where it turned out to be a case issue Here, both my webpage and the httpd.conf use the same case.

I do have a default charset:
AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1

which I want to leave as is, as our site is primarily an English language site, and I don't want users to have to download language packs to view English pages.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Somik

Re: [users@httpd] Charset problems with Apache 2.0

Posted by Somik Raha <so...@industriallogic.com>.

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addcharset
>
> Check out this link.  I did a search on Google, and this is what I
> was able to find.  It appears that you are on the correct path, just
> some light mods would help.

Thanks for the link. I've been through that, and if I understand it
correctly - this helps in content negotiation - when I have multiple
language versions for the same page, this would be a nice way to serve it.
However, the separation of content is logically achieved from the site
structure, and I have no need for the automatic detection and serving
feature. I need the japanese page served using the japanese charset on any
machine that requests it.

What baffles me is how this works by default in Apache 1.3.x and not in
2.0.x. Is there a bug introduced in 2.0? Also, I am not sure I understand
what you mean by "light mods".

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addcharset

Check out this link.  I did a search on Google, and this is what I
was able to find.  It appears that you are on the correct path, just
some light mods would help.

Good luck.