Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by D'Armous Boone <Mu...@netscape.net> on 2002/07/10 19:24:08 UTC

Newbie question on setup and configuration

Hello Users Mailing List,

I am a newbie to servers in general.  I am using the Windows ME OS and
just bought Dreamweaver MX, and would like to setup the Apache server
just for site testing purposes (I am trying to learn how to use CGI
scripts and work with databases such as MySQL).  I do not want to go
live with the server.  Can the Apache server be setup to do that?  If so
how do I configure it to do so?  I tried to install the computer on my
own but could not get past the point where I was asked for DNS
information.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Newbie question on setup and configuration

Posted by steveg <st...@stevegcentral.com>.

Couple of things,
1 to make your web server "not live" you can setup apache to only bind to
127.0.0.1 (localhost)
put "BindAddress 127.0.0.1" in the right spot in your httpd.conf
for dns settings set whatever DNS server you want
just make sure to turn off host resolution or you will have some problems
put "HostnameLookups Off" in your httpd.conf.

That should do it.. note that I have never used apache under windows but I
doubt it's any different.

Let me know if that works for you.

Posted by D'Armous Boone <Mu...@netscape.net>.

Posted by Andy Cutright <ac...@borland.com>.
hi,

D'Armous Boone wrote:

> Hello Users Mailing List,
>
> I am a newbie to servers in general.  I am using the Windows ME OS and
> just bought Dreamweaver MX, and would like to setup the Apache server
> just for site testing purposes (I am trying to learn how to use CGI
> scripts and work with databases such as MySQL).  I do not want to go
> live with the server.  Can the Apache server be setup to do that?  If
> so how do I configure it to do so?  I tried to install the computer on
> my own but could not get past the point where I was asked for DNS
> information.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"an uber-system has been superposed, bootstrapped to convergence at maximized functionality..."
--
Borland -- Enabling a new digital world where our customers have the
freedom of choice to develop, deploy, and integrate applications across

addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any
attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in
error,
please immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail
and any printout thereof.

Re: Newbie question on setup and configuration

Posted by Dmitry Medvedev <me...@rsdsoft.msk.ru>.
good day, D'Armous Boone.

Setting the Apache for testing purposes is not diffucult a task.

Before you start make sure that the MS Internet Information Server is not
running, for it uses the 80 port which will conflict with the Apacher web
server's default one. Sure you can change the Apache's port later but the
installation script can report an error.... To cut it short, it's better to
stop (or even better to kill) the MS IIS :-)

Start the setup.exe (or whatever it's name is). Specify the installation
directory. This is the point when you should think twice. By default the
server wants to be installed to somewhere like "C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Apache". This is really not good, for later (when the server will be
successfully installed) you will have to modify some lines in the
configuration file - most of these lines will contain this installation
path. Besides that the path is rather long and it also contains gaps, so
you'll have to use inverted commas. The "C:\Apache" is a good start. Then
press OK's till the end :-)

If everything's allright (no errors during the setup) you can test the
server by typing in the IE address bar something like http://localhost/ and
hitting the Enter button; otherwise you will have to alter the httpd.conf
file (the web server's main configuration file).

On your request the server will send you the index.html (if it exists) which
is located in the c:\apache\htdocs directory or directory listing of the
index.html is absent.

To make it simple you can just sweep this directory and store there your own
files, though I would not reccommend you doing so, for you will lose all the
web server documentation :-)

Further, if you want everything be made in the smart way (:-) you should
refer to the virtual host documentation page on the apache web site or find
the corresponding one in the htdocs directory of the Apache installation
folder. Setup your own virtual hosts and enjoy the life! Do not hesitate to
sak for help, you are welcome, though remember that it's better to have at
least some basic understanding of how it all works than to know nothing.

For more help, please refer back to the list :-)

Regards,
            Dmitry.

Developer Express inc.