Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Metin Akat <ak...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/19 09:09:10 UTC

Unnecessary database reindexing on server restart.

Hi List,

We needed to restart our server (the physical machine) and surprise,
CouchDb "decided" it needs to re-index all its views.
We haven't changed anything in the views, nor the data. The reason for
this re-indexing is mystery to us.
Do you have any clue what could have triggered the process? And more
importantly, how can I avoid such "accidents" in the future, as such a
thing has a potential to halt operations of parts of the company for
quite some time?

Regards,
Metin

Re: Unnecessary database reindexing on server restart.

Posted by Metin Akat <ak...@gmail.com>.
> Are the old index files still around? I'm assuming you are running
> 0.10. If you are, I'm interested to know if the old index files are
> still in your view data directory.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the hash function itself
> changed. Did you do anything on the box like upgrade OpenSSL or
> Erlang, which maybe wasn't picked up until the reboot?

Hi Chris,
Yeah, I guess you are right.

# ls -lh
total 703M
-rw-r--r-- 1 couchdb couchdb 249M 2010-01-19 10:14
a6638688db6dc7f392c8bb9dd1ad9060.view
-rw-r--r-- 1 couchdb couchdb 454M 2010-01-18 15:10
d7af16f81d39e75ef650fd903c39bb3c.view

We have only one design document and I guess the second file is for
the same design doc but with a different hash (and last modified
yesterday).

And yes, we are using 0.10 on ubuntu 9.10. We updated the server some days ago.

Seems like everything fits in.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Unnecessary database reindexing on server restart.

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net