Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2005/03/10 15:13:33 UTC

[proposal] Consistent property name and value for generated artifact location for JAR, WAR, EAR, RAR plugins

Hi,

ATM, these plugins have a maven.[plugin name].final.name property (except
the RAR plugin but that's another problem) that points to the *name* of the
generated artifact.

In the plugins the location of the artifact is hardcoded, so you'll always
find: ${maven.build.dir}/${maven.[plugin name].final.name} everywhere.

I think this is not flexible enough and I would like to propose the
following:

1/ Introduce a new property name maven.[plugin name].final.path which will
default to ${maven.build.dir}/${maven.final.name}.[extension], i.e. it will
contain the location + the name.

This will allow other plugins or end users to completely decide where to put
the generated artifact without having to change the global maven.build.dir
property.

2/ Deprecate usages of maven.[plugin name].final.name (and
maven.war.build.dir for the JAR plugin). These properties will still be
honored by the plugins but will issue a deprecation warning and be computed
based on the new maven.[plugin name].final.path property.

Alternative: Do not deprecate them and simply introduce the new property.

Personally I prefer the deprecation as the name and dir can be computed
easily from the path (using the <basename> and <basedir> Ant tasks) and
having too many properties just make the plugins more complex.

What do you think?

Thanks
-Vincent

PS: BTW, when do we remove the previously deprecated stuff from plugins
(like java:jar goal, dependency-handle stuff, etc)? Do we have a strategy
for this, like once the plugin has been released 3 times after the
deprecation has been introduced or once there has been 2 Maven releases?