Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Joseph Lorenzini <ja...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/28 23:44:24 UTC

Cost of Stored=True Setting for All Fields

Hi all,

I am in the process of migrating a solr collection from 4 to 8. I
discovered that there was no ETL process for loading all the data into a
new collection in solr 8, so I had to build one. For technical reasons that
aren't important here, I'd prefer this tool to be a one-off.

In the future, I'd like to use the Solr DIH to do the reindexing. However,
that can only work if the DIH can get all the solr fields. I discovered
that in solr 4 at least if a field is set to stored=false, then the DIH
won't get that field. So I am wondering if i can fix this by simply set
stored=true for all the fields. Since I am going to have to do a full
re-index for solr 8 migration, now would be the time to update the schema
for this.

I expect that disk size would grow but I'd like to find out if there are
any other costs or potential problems that could come up if i go that route.

Thanks,
Joe