Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Sebastien Tardif <Se...@ncf.ca> on 2010/01/28 19:15:07 UTC

PatternLayout is too limited, cannot limit size of message, which could contain hundred lines of stack

PatternLayout is too limited, cannot limit size of message, which could
contain hundred lines of stack.

Only option I found is truncation from the start! Obviously, the start
contain the error, then the end the stack.

Anybody has a workaround?

Some pattern layout should exist to delegate to Java 5 Formatter ->
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Formatter.html

However, even if it's the case, I don't see how Java formatter can truncate
without adding padding, which I don't really need.