Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rishabh Joshi <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/12 16:55:32 UTC

Restrict values in a multivalued field

Hi,

In my schema I have a multivalued field, and the values of that field are
"stored" and "indexed" in the index. I wanted to know if its possible to
restrict the number of multiple values being returned from that field, on a
search? And how? Because, lets say, if I have thousands of values in that
multivalued field, returning all of them would be a lot of load on the
system. So, I want to restrict it to send me only say, 50 values out of the
thousands.

Regards,
Rishabh

Re: Restrict values in a multivalued field

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: In my schema I have a multivalued field, and the values of that field are
: "stored" and "indexed" in the index. I wanted to know if its possible to
: restrict the number of multiple values being returned from that field, on a
: search? And how? Because, lets say, if I have thousands of values in that
: multivalued field, returning all of them would be a lot of load on the
: system. So, I want to restrict it to send me only say, 50 values out of the
: thousands.

How would Solr pick which 50 to return?
Why not index all thousand (so you can search on them) in an unstored
field, and only store the 50 you want returned in a seperate (unindexed
field).  the index size will be exactly the same -- admittedly you'll have
to send a bit more data over the wire for each doc you index, but that's
probably a trivial amount (assuming the 50 values you want to store are
representative of the thousands you index you are talking about at most
a 5% increases in the amount of data you send solr on each add)

-Hoss