Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Wesley Peng <we...@orange.fr> on 2020/06/29 00:55:08 UTC

Apache Beam a Complete Guide - Review?

Hello

Has anyone bought this book? Can you give a simple review, good or not?

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/apache-beam-a-complete-guide---2020-edition/26243355/item/36997139/

I want to buy a book for beam the specific topic, but this book seems
too new to have enough reviews.

Thanks.

Re: Apache Beam a Complete Guide - Review?

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
"Streaming Systems" is a great book to understand the concepts behind
Apache Beam and other streaming systems. However, it is not a book about
how to write, deploy, or monitor Beam pipelines. Such a book is yet to
come out.

As for the "Apache Beam" book you linked, that one seems to be a fraud
based on the contents you can see here:
https://www.amazon.com/Apache-Beam-Complete-Guide-2020/dp/1867336081 I
strongly suggest not buying that book.

-Max

Posted by Wesley Peng <we...@orange.fr>.

Posted by Rion Williams <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wesley,

In essence, yes, that’s what they did.

Posted by Wesley Peng <we...@orange.fr>.
Hi Luke

Posted by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com>.

Posted by Wesley Peng <we...@orange.fr>.
Hi Rion

Posted by Rion Williams <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wesley,

I considered that one as well but was in the same boat in terms of not pulling the trigger (lack of reviews, price point, etc.). I eventually landed on Streaming Systems, which I highly, highly recommend if you want to learn more about the Beam model:

- http://streamingsystems.net/

I don’t think there’s a better book that I’ve come across that focuses on it more (and if there is one, I’d love to know about it). I wrote a blog post that includes a short-review of it if you want a slightly longer summary (http://rion.io/2020/05/09/an-education-in-streaming/), but again - I highly recommend checking it out if you hadn’t already.

I hope that’s helpful and sorry I couldn’t chime in more on “The Complete Guide”.

Rion