Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2005/12/30 17:06:51 UTC

Milestone Release

Hi Everyone,

Before arriving at the incubator, ActiveMQ was cutting periodic
Milestone releases so that uses could get better visibility on the
progress of the development.  The milestones were not really tied to
specific goals, but were done so that folks who are adverse to trying
out SNAPSHOTs could kick the wheels of this developing product and
get feedback to the developers sooner rather than later.

Now that ActiveMQ has dotted the 'i's and crossed the 't's of most of
the incubation checklist, http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/
ActiveMQ_Incubation, and we have gotten through most of the refactors
needed now that we have come to apache, I was hoping we could get our
first Apache based milestone done.

I know that being in the incubator imposes a few extra restrictions.
Is there a check list out there for this kinda thing that we can follow?

Regards,
Hiram

Re: Milestone Release

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.
I'd love to see another milestone release - not that my vote is
binding but I'm +1 :-)

TTFN,

Bill Dudney
MyFaces - myfaces.apache.org
Wadi - incubator.apache.org/wadi

Re: Milestone Release

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 30 Dec 2005, at 17:36, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On 12/30/2005 8:06 AM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Before arriving at the incubator, ActiveMQ was cutting periodic
>> Milestone releases so that uses could get better visibility on
>> the  progress of the development.  The milestones were not really
>> tied to  specific goals, but were done so that folks who are
>> adverse to trying  out SNAPSHOTs could kick the wheels of this
>> developing product and  get feedback to the developers sooner
>> rather than later.
>>
>> Now that ActiveMQ has dotted the 'i's and crossed the 't's of most
>> of  the incubation checklist, http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/
>> ActiveMQ_Incubation, and we have gotten through most of the
>> refactors  needed now that we have come to apache, I was hoping we
>> could get our  first Apache based milestone done.
>>
>> I know that being in the incubator imposes a few extra
>> restrictions.   Is there a check list out there for this kinda
>> thing that we can follow?
>

> This is a great idea.  I don't think that there are many
> restrictions other than it cannot be an official release.
>
> Shall we put the milestone release up for a vote?

Shall we vote on whether to vote :)

Lets just call a vote; folks can always -1 if there's some reason why
we can't do a milestone.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Milestone Release

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 12/30/2005 8:06 AM, Hiram Chirino wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Before arriving at the incubator, ActiveMQ was cutting periodic
> Milestone releases so that uses could get better visibility on the
> progress of the development.  The milestones were not really tied to
> specific goals, but were done so that folks who are adverse to trying
> out SNAPSHOTs could kick the wheels of this developing product and
> get feedback to the developers sooner rather than later.
>
> Now that ActiveMQ has dotted the 'i's and crossed the 't's of most of
> the incubation checklist, http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/
> ActiveMQ_Incubation, and we have gotten through most of the refactors
> needed now that we have come to apache, I was hoping we could get our
> first Apache based milestone done.
>
> I know that being in the incubator imposes a few extra restrictions.
> Is there a check list out there for this kinda thing that we can follow?

This is a great idea.  I don't think that there are many restrictions
other than it cannot be an official release.

Shall we put the milestone release up for a vote?

Regards,
Alan