Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> on 2003/10/27 21:33:06 UTC

ACLs: Full support in file system after 1.0? But wat about tags?

Hello, users! How are you?

  It will be nice to see full NTFS-like ACLs in svn filesystem. It
  will allow to manage all access rights with `svn' command, from remote
  computer, without having access to Apache's configuration or pre-commit
  hooks. It will be great, but I understand, that it could wait for
  after-1.0 phase.

  But one case is important, IMHO. TAGS. Ok, tag is copy of repository
  (or project in repository) in `tags' or other `well-known' part of
  tree. But tag in SCM, IMHO, should be unchangeable. After tag is
  set, no one could change it (ok, no one, but admin, may be). And now
  we have tags, which is not technically protected. It is bad, IMHO.

  And change Apache's config or pre-commit script after each tag
  creation is not good idea too: developer could don't have access to
  these files!

  May be here is any plans to add a "read-only" mark to repository?
  May be via property?

--
               Lev Serebryakov

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello, John!

Re: ACLs: Full support in file system after 1.0? But wat about tags?

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Monday 27 October 2003 19:40, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> writes:
> >   And change Apache's config or pre-commit script after each tag
> >   creation is not good idea too: developer could don't have access to
> >   these files!
> >
> >   May be here is any plans to add a "read-only" mark to repository?
> >   May be via property?
>
> We think it's not a crisis, because a change to a tag could be easily
> detected (by 'svn log', or just by reading commit mails) and reverted.

You could probably write a pre-commit script that used 'svnlook changed' to
watch which paths are being modified and fail if a tag is being updated.

I don't think that would be too hard to do.  I'd probably work much like
commit-access-control.pl does now.

-John

Re[2]: ACLs: Full support in file system after 1.0? But wat about tags?

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello, kfogel!
Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 3:40:57 AM, you wrote:

>>   May be here is any plans to add a "read-only" mark to repository?
>>   May be via property?
kcn> We think it's not a crisis, because a change to a tag could be easily
kcn> detected (by 'svn log', or just by reading commit mails) and reverted.
  ANY change could be detected with `svn log' and reverted. So, we
  don't need any ACLs and any fine-grained (more than could do
  operation with repo/couldn't even read) access control?

--

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello, kfogel!

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello, Branko!
Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 1:15:30 AM, you wrote:

BC> Why do you need a read-only bit *in addition* if you can get the same
BC> behaviour with ACLs?
  Because `read-only bit' we need before ACLs. ACLs could wait AFTER
  1.0 and `read-only' (for tags) should be pre-1.0 feature, _IMHO_

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.