Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Wai <bz...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/06 21:05:14 UTC

Proposal to remove catalog's "Template Path Prefix" field from user interface

Does anyone know how a catalog's "Template Path Prefix" field is used from
http://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org/catalog/control/EditProdCatalog?prodCatalogId=DemoCatalog
It seems that the code blindly prepends the "Template Path Prefix" value to
the category's "Detail Screen" field.

Hence, if a catalog's "Template Path Prefix" is "zzz" and a category's
"Detail Screen" is "somedetailscreen", the resulting screen that ofbiz looks
for is "/zzzsomedetailscreen".  Which ofbiz would not be able to locate
based on the format of the screen location.

If a catalog's "Template Path Prefix" is "zzz" and a category's "Detail
Screen" is
"component://ecommerce/widget/CatalogScreens.xml#somedetailscreen", the
resulting screen that ofbiz looks for is
"/zzzcomponent://ecommerce/widget/CatalogScreens.xml#somedetailscreen".
Which ofbiz would not be able to located due to the improper format.

Since this code never worked since 2006 when it was first placed into the
svn repository.  I don't think anyone has made use of it since.

I propose to remove the catalog's "Template Path Prefix" field from the
catalog's user interface to reduce the confusion.

Could someone in the community give some insight to this field.

Thanks,
Wai

Re: Proposal to remove catalog's "Template Path Prefix" field from user interface

Posted by Wai <bz...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Anyone knowledgeable in this area to give some insight?

Thanks

Re: Proposal to remove catalog's "Template Path Prefix" field from user interface

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
This should also work in a multi-tenant scenario, without being extra complicating from an OFBiz point of view. This, because of the fact that each tenant has its own data storage (db).

Of course, from a file storage mgt point of view this means that each tenant should have the means to upload the images with tools outside of the OFBiz environment. E.g FTP to their own file point location. But that is not unsolvable...

Regards,

Pierre Smits

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 12 jun. 2012 om 12:52 heeft Wai <bz...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for the effort Mike,

Now we know what we are speaking about.  Seems You are concerned by Multitenant Wai?

Jacques

From: "Mike" <mz...@gmail.com>

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques, Mike and Wai,

Please create a JIRA so that this issue is not forgotten. If you feel that
you can assist in improving the situation (whether removing the
functionality, improving it and/or creating the help page) please provide
your patch as well.

Regards,

Pierre

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
All is in the sentence

From: "Mike" <mz...@gmail.com>

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

From: "David E Jones" <de...@me.com>

Posted by Wai <bz...@gmail.com>.
Hello David,

I'm not sure to whom you're addressing your post.  Since I'm the originator,
I'll give a reply.

A catalog's "Template Path Prefix" field is used to specify the path prefix
to a particular screen widget file containing the screen to use for listing
products in the ecommerce website.

The reason for this post is that the code blindly prepends the value of this
field to the category's "Detail Screen" field.  Resulting in a final file
path that will "always" cause an exception.  Hence this code had never
worked.

As you can see from the original posting, the resulting path to the target
screen to use makes no sense.

Since this code never worked since 2006. It is therefore reasonable that no
one has ever used this feature.  And it is unlikely that the originator of
the code could possibly have used it successfully unless he made changes to
his own version of ofbiz.

That's why I proposed to have this code and associated ui be hidden or
removed.  If not the code, at least hide the ui part.

I'll log a jira on this so that the community can keep track.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

From: "Wai" <bz...@gmail.com>

Posted by Wai <bz...@gmail.com>.
One additional comment.
"Template Path Prefix" and "Content Path Prefix" as it is implemented would
not make sense in a multitenant ofbiz setup.