Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org> on 2002/07/24 22:58:55 UTC

are downlevel manuals goodness?

If I'm reading the Makefile correctly, current HEAD no longer updates the
manual/ directory if it exists, unlike 1.3.  What good is a downlevel manual?

Greg

Re: are downlevel manuals goodness?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:11:48PM +0100, James Cox wrote:
> kick me if i got this wrong, but manual was always copied into
> @@INSTDIR@@/html/manual right?

Nah, we switched it to go to $(prefix)/manual by default.  It's
not in the htdocs dir now.  -- justin

Re: are downlevel manuals goodness?

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 04:58:55PM -0400, Greg Ames wrote:
> > If I'm reading the Makefile correctly, current HEAD no longer updates the
> > manual/ directory if it exists, unlike 1.3.  What good is a downlevel manual?
>
> Yeah, that looks bogus.  I'd move the copying of the manual to
> install-man and copy it unconditionally.  -- justin

That looks like a good fit - commit coming shortly.

Posted by James Cox <im...@php.net>.

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 04:58:55PM -0400, Greg Ames wrote:
> > If I'm reading the Makefile correctly, current HEAD no longer
> updates the
> > manual/ directory if it exists, unlike 1.3.  What good is a
> downlevel manual?
>
> Yeah, that looks bogus.  I'd move the copying of the manual to
> install-man and copy it unconditionally.  -- justin

kick me if i got this wrong, but manual was always copied into
@@INSTDIR@@/html/manual right?

that particularly sucked (i nuked html as one of the first things i did on
install, so as not to confuse anything).

what about sticking it into /usr/local/share or similar? and then having a
built in link, such as server-status .... ?

reason being, again, it'd be nice to make the INSTDIR cleaner. :)

 -- james

Re: are downlevel manuals goodness?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.