Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Catherine D'Ignazio <ca...@pz.harvard.edu> on 2002/02/04 22:45:57 UTC

Newbie question on connecting through Java

Hi All,
Another question on simply connecting to the DBXml server thru java. I
am attempting to run Example1 from the Developer's guide. The only thing
I changed was I put it in one of my own packages. Here's the stack trace
that I get:

Message: (Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:org/dbxml/server/dbXMLexception)

As far as I can tell this class does not exist. I can run the command
line tools fine, so I know that the server is up and running correctly.
Does anyone have some insight here?

Thanks for any help!
Catie

Full stack trace & classpath:
C:\catedocs\client\util>java -classpath
C:\catedocs\client\resources\spanish;C:\
catedocs\client\resources\french;C:\catedocs\client\resources;C:\catedoc
s\client
\images\jlfgr\toolbarButtonGraphics\general;C:\catedocs\client\images\jl
fgr\tool
barButtonGraphics\navigation;C:\dbxml\dbXML-Core-1.0b4\java\lib\dbXML.ja
r;C:\dbx
ml\dbXML-Core-1.0b4\java\lib\xalan-2.0.1.jar;C:\dbxml\dbXML-Core-1.0b4\j
ava\lib\
xerces-1.4.3.jar;C:\dbxml\dbXML-Core-1.0b4\java\lib\xmldb.jar;C:\jdk1.3.
1_01\src
.jar;C:\catedocs\client\class\jasper;C:\jdk1.3.1_01\lib\tools.jar;C:\dbx
ml\dbXML
-Core-1.0b4\bin; edu.harvard.jasper.clientStore.Example1
org/dbxml/server/dbXM
LException
        at
org.dbxml.xml.SymbolTableSymbols.<init>(SymbolTableSymbols.java:76)
        at
org.dbxml.xml.SymbolTableSymbols.getInstance(SymbolTableSymbols.java:
89)
        at
org.dbxml.core.corba.SymbolDeserializer.<clinit>(SymbolDeserializer.j
ava:68)
        at
org.dbxml.client.xmldb.CollectionImpl.<init>(CollectionImpl.java:97)
        at
org.dbxml.client.xmldb.DatabaseImpl.getCollection(DatabaseImpl.java:2
06)
        at
org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:194)

        at
org.xmldb.api.DatabaseManager.getCollection(DatabaseManager.java:157)

        at
edu.harvard.jasper.clientStore.Example1.main(Example1.java:17)

C:\catedocs\client\util>

Re: Newbie question on connecting through Java

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Monday, February 4, 2002, at 02:45 PM, Catherine D'Ignazio wrote:
> Another question on simply connecting to the DBXml server thru java. I
> am attempting to run Example1 from the Developer's guide. The only thing
> I changed was I put it in one of my own packages. Here's the stack trace
> that I get:
> Message: (Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:org/dbxml/server/dbXMLexception)
> As far as I can tell this class does not exist. I can run the command
> line tools fine, so I know that the server is up and running correctly.
> Does anyone have some insight here?

For dbXML, you need to have the Juggernaut jar on your classpath as
well, which is where dbXMLException exists.  For Xindice, this is no
longer a requirement, as the two packages have merged.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Apache Xindice (Native XML Database) - http://xml.apache.org