Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Benedict Jin <as...@apache.org> on 2020/12/28 07:43:42 UTC

Propose to use some robots provided in Github's Marketplace to help us improve the efficiency of project maintenance

Hello everyone,

As the Apache IoTDB project continues to grow, the maintenance costs that follow have gradually increased. In order to alleviate this problem, I propose to use some robots provided in Github's Marketplace to help us improve the efficiency of project maintenance. The following is a list of some robots that I am familiar with, including the official website of the plugin, some brief introductions, and case addresses. I hope it can trigger more great ideas. Welcome to discuss and propose more useful robots.

- [Mergify](https://github.com/marketplace/mergify)
  - Mergify is a pull requests automation service. It allows you to trigger actions when your pull requests match defined criteria.
  - Example: https://github.com/crate/crate/pull/10881

- [Dependabot](https://github.com/marketplace/dependabot-preview)
  - Dependabot can maintain your repository's dependencies automatically.
  - Example: https://github.com/dependabot/dependabot-core/pull/2901

- [Codecov](https://github.com/marketplace/codecov)
  - Codecov provides highly integrated tools to group, merge, archive and compare coverage reports.
  - Example: https://github.com/codecov/codecov-bash/pull/396

- [Imgbot](https://github.com/marketplace/imgbot)
  - Imgbot is a friendly robot that optimizes your images and saves you time. Optimized images mean smaller file sizes without sacrificing quality.
  - Example: https://github.com/asdf2014/algorithm/pull/53

- [Pull Request Size](https://github.com/marketplace/pull-request-size)
  - Each Pull Request created will be marked with a label in GitHub based on the lines of code changed.
  - Example: https://github.com/asdf2014/algorithm/pull/82

- [PEP 8 Speaks](https://github.com/marketplace/pep-8-speaks)
  - PEP 8 Speaks is a GitHub app which detects Python code style issues on new Pull Requests.
  - Example: https://github.com/asdf2014/algorithm/pull/49

Regards,
Benedict Jin

AW: AW: Propose to use some robots provided in Github's Marketplace to help us improve the efficiency of project maintenance

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Benedict,

no worries, I just wanted to add this thought to the discussion as your initial post sounded a lot like stuff would automatically be updated. So as long as every code change has to signed off by a comitter, I'm fine with that :-)

Chris

Posted by Benedict Jin <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Christofer Dutz,

Re: Propose to use some robots provided in Github's Marketplace to help us improve the efficiency of project maintenance

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Also be aware that due to a recent security issue the following now applies applies to GitHub actions:
"Actions in this workflow must be: created by GitHub, verified in the GitHub Marketplace, within a repository owned by
apache or match the following: adoptopenjdk/*, apache/*, gradle/wrapper-validation-action.”

Thanks,
Justin

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for letting us know so many good tools.

I do not believe code changes by robots very much unless I read the code
changes myself.
But I also think having such tools can help us saving time.

- Mergify: I do not like it. :( I think it is dangerous...

- Dependabot: I like this tool. (But we'd better to have a full test, as
some dependencies may lead to performance reduction when it fixes
something.

- Codecov: Well, if someone can set this up, I opt for it! I have spent
more than 3 days to fix the coveralls... but failed. We need code coverage
checking very much.

- Imgbot: OK from my view, as we have few images in the repo.

- Pull Request Size: OK from my view.

- PEP 8 Speaks: I like it.

Best,
-----------------------------------