Posted to dev@toree.apache.org by Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com> on 2016/01/08 18:27:47 UTC

Versioning

I would like to start the discussion around versioning. As spark-kernel, we
were attempting to keep the version of the project consistent with the
version of Spark. For example:

Spark 1.6.0 comes out, Spark-Kernel 1.6.0 would get releases.

Advantages:
- Easy identify compatibility

Disadvantages:
- Hard to accommodate our own features and fixed.
- Most of the time the same codebase supports multiple Spark versions

For Toree, I propose we move start from scratch.

Lets say we start from version 0.1.0.

I'm assuming that during incubation we do not touch the MAJOR portion of
the version.

The MINOR portion of the version is updated when:
- Enough features to put a new release
- Changes due to new version of Spark that break backwards or uses new
features

The PATCH portion of the version is updated when:
- Fixes and minor feature additions

Re: Versioning

Posted by Corey Stubbs <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 on restarting the version number.