Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nadja Senoucci <se...@21st.de> on 2003/06/06 12:24:34 UTC

Session

Hello,

I have a more Java than Struts related question but maybe you could answer
it as well? Okay, so I use a link to get to a form. In the ActionForward
that gets executed when the link is used, I load an object and stuff it into
the session. In my form I then want the fields tp be prepopulated with the
data from the object in the session. As I understand it that happens via the
get-methods of the ActionForm class for this form. My question is: How do I
read the object from the session before my get-methods are called? As I
understood so far, I need the HttpServletRequest object for that - which I
only have access to in the validate method (which doesn't help, since that's
already too late)... I know there must a simple way to do this, I just don't
know how...

Greetings,
Nadja

(P.S.: Dirk, I think, I accidently send my Thank-you-reply for the help with
my stupid parsing problem to your email address. I just hit reply and didn't
look at the address the email would be send to... Sorry about that.)

Re: Session

Posted by Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>.
Hallo Nadja,

see comments below.

NS> Hello,

NS> I have a more Java than Struts related question but maybe you could answer
NS> it as well? Okay, so I use a link to get to a form. In the ActionForward
NS> that gets executed when the link is used, I load an object and stuff it into
NS> the session.

In think this happens in your action? Why dont you call the setters of
your form at this time?

NS> In my form I then want the fields tp be prepopulated with the
NS> data from the object in the session. As I understand it that happens via the
NS> get-methods of the ActionForm class for this form. My question is: How do I
NS> read the object from the session before my get-methods are called? As I
NS> understood so far, I need the HttpServletRequest object for that - which I
NS> only have access to in the validate method (which doesn't help, since that's
NS> already too late)... I know there must a simple way to do this, I just don't
NS> know how...

NS> Greetings,
NS> Nadja

NS> (P.S.: Dirk, I think, I accidently send my Thank-you-reply for the help with
NS> my stupid parsing problem to your email address. I just hit reply and didn't
NS> look at the address the email would be send to... Sorry about that.)

No problem

Re: Session

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
In the refering action that puts your object in the session, populate
the form..

ActionForm theForm = (ActionForm) form;

Object yourObj = ...

String fooStr = yourObj.getSomething();

//for dynaforms
theForm.set("foo",fooStr);

or

//the method in your action form.
theForm.setFoo(fooStr);

//jsp

there might be a more ninja way of doing this, but this is what i tend
to do...

hope this helps

mark