Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/12 21:49:30 UTC

Website: switching language keeps relative page

This is just an idea for those of you who may find it useful and have
the skills to implement it.

When one changes the language of the website one is taken to the home
(topmost) page in that particular language. Wouldn't it be nice to
retain the relative page when switching the language? Here's what I mean:

Say, I'm on "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/" and decide to
switch the language to German. As it is now, I'm taken to
"http://www.openoffice.org/de/". In many cases, though, especially when
comparing or cross-checking stuff, it would be more handy to be taken to
"http://www.openoffice.org/de/download/". That is to say, by switching
the language one gets to view the counterpart ("same") page in that
language: e.g., if on ".../lt/download/", then to ".../de/download/"; if
on ".../pt/why/", then to ".../hu/why/", etc.

What do you think?

Regards,

Aivaras

Re: Website: switching language keeps relative page

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/20/2015 08:01 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Thank you for relaying your conversation. It was an interesting read.
>
> Just to make clear I'm understanding you correctly: you're saying all
> this regarding 1) the question about folder naming or 2) the feature of
> keeping the relative page while switching to a different language or 3)
> both?

the statement was for both.

Marcus

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/16/2015 07:30 PM, schrieb Marcus:
> Am 01/16/2015 04:28 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>> You seem to be referring to the same issue. Is it a good thing to
>> localize the names of folders and files? I am not a programmer but it
>> looks to me that it would create clutter, no?
>
> that's a good question, indeed. :-) We need to answer this (and find a
> common agreement, of course) before we can change a thing.
>
>> The folders and files of the website are not there to address the
>> visitors of the website interested in AOO as a software product. The
>> folders and files of the website are things "under the hood" and as such
>> should stay in English. And even English here is better understood not
>> as a vernacular, but a universally adopted tagging or marking technique.
>> So I would tend not to localize the names of folders and files.
>
>  From an admin point of view I would agree with you. However, I'll ask a
> colleague at work if there will be any problems with SEO when we
> keep/change every directory and file name in English (e.g., getting a
> bad ranking in Google search results).

I've today spoken to a SEO expert. He told me that due to the very good
standing of OpenOffice the page ranking shouldn't be worse - and if so
not for long.

However, he has suggested not to do these changes as it would be a
larege technical change but with a low benefit for the users. Actually I
haven't heard of users that complain of this.

Of course we shouldn't wait for user complains to fix things. But in
this case I also think that the consideration of user benefit vs.
technical effort is not balanced. We would have much to do for nearly no
benefit.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

>> 2015.01.12 23:08, Ariel Constenla-Haile rašė:
>>> This wouldn't be so straight-forward, because localized sites may have
>>> localized folders; for example, in the Spanish site the folder are
>>>
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/ "descargar" = download
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/es/por-que/ "por-que" -> ¿Por qué? = why
>>>
>>> (This shows how precarious and primitive is the current way of
>>> maintaining the whole thing, where some change in the English download
>>> page may brake everything).
>>
>> 2015.01.12 23:06, Marcus rašė:
>>> Not only the webpages are localized, also the relative
>>> pages/directories can be localized, e.g., ".../de/downloads/",
>>> ".../fr/Telecharger/", ".../es/descargar/". This has to be taken into
>>> account. Furthermore, the implementation has to be case-sensitive

Re: Website: switching language keeps relative page

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/16/2015 04:28 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> You seem to be referring to the same issue. Is it a good thing to
> localize the names of folders and files? I am not a programmer but it
> looks to me that it would create clutter, no?

that's a good question, indeed. :-) We need to answer this (and find a
common agreement, of course) before we can change a thing.

> The folders and files of the website are not there to address the
> visitors of the website interested in AOO as a software product. The
> folders and files of the website are things "under the hood" and as such
> should stay in English. And even English here is better understood not
> as a vernacular, but a universally adopted tagging or marking technique.
> So I would tend not to localize the names of folders and files.

 From an admin point of view I would agree with you. However, I'll ask a

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Marcus, Ariel,

You seem to be referring to the same issue. Is it a good thing to
localize the names of folders and files? I am not a programmer but it
looks to me that it would create clutter, no?

I sometimes question myself as to that gray area wherein the local
environment transitions into the global and vice versa.

One possible criterion might be the technical side of things versus the
user side of things.

The folders and files of the website are not there to address the
visitors of the website interested in AOO as a software product. The
folders and files of the website are things "under the hood" and as such
should stay in English. And even English here is better understood not
as a vernacular, but a universally adopted tagging or marking technique.
So I would tend not to localize the names of folders and files.

Maybe we should come up with a guideline here for the common good of the
community, especially those, who would otherwise be subject to extra
work overcoming all that clutter of names?

Regards,
Aivaras

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/12/2015 09:49 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> This is just an idea for those of you who may find it useful and have
> the skills to implement it.
>
> When one changes the language of the website one is taken to the home
> (topmost) page in that particular language. Wouldn't it be nice to
> retain the relative page when switching the language? Here's what I mean:
>
> Say, I'm on "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/" and decide to
> switch the language to German. As it is now, I'm taken to
> "http://www.openoffice.org/de/". In many cases, though, especially when
> comparing or cross-checking stuff, it would be more handy to be taken to
> "http://www.openoffice.org/de/download/". That is to say, by switching
> the language one gets to view the counterpart ("same") page in that
> language: e.g., if on ".../lt/download/", then to ".../de/download/"; if
> on ".../pt/why/", then to ".../hu/why/", etc.
>
> What do you think?

I've seen one detail which could be a bigger obstacle.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Stepukonis,

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:49:30PM +0200, Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> This is just an idea for those of you who may find it useful and have the
> skills to implement it.
>
> When one changes the language of the website one is taken to the home
> (topmost) page in that particular language. Wouldn't it be nice to retain
> the relative page when switching the language? Here's what I mean:
>
> Say, I'm on "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/download/" and decide to switch
> the language to German. As it is now, I'm taken to
> "http://www.openoffice.org/de/". In many cases, though, especially when
> comparing or cross-checking stuff, it would be more handy to be taken to
> "http://www.openoffice.org/de/download/". That is to say, by switching the
> language one gets to view the counterpart ("same") page in that language:
> e.g., if on ".../lt/download/", then to ".../de/download/"; if on
> ".../pt/why/", then to ".../hu/why/", etc.

This wouldn't be so straight-forward, because localized sites may have
localized folders; for example, in the Spanish site the folder are

https://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/ "descargar" = download
https://www.openoffice.org/es/por-que/ "por-que" -> ¿Por qué? = why

(This shows how precarious and primitive is the current way of
maintaining the whole thing, where some change in the English download
page may brake everything).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Website: switching language keeps relative page

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
I think it's a great idea. And a very logical one too!

Regards,
Pedro.