Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/03/26 15:57:07 UTC

Renaming some ant tasks to improve consistency

Hi all,

I have reviewed the names of our ant tasks and I would like to propose to rename [*] some of them to make them more consistent with what they actually do.
In short, I would like to:
* rename some "run" tasks with the word "start" because they actually start OFBiz
* rename "run-install*" tasks with the word "load" because they actually load data
** rename the task that loads demo data from "run-install" to a more explicit "load-demo"

Here is the complete list of proposed changes:

 run --> start
 run-debug --> start-debug
 run-pos --> start-pos
 run-install --> load-demo
 run-install-* targets --> load-* (for example: run-install-seed --> load-seed etc...)

What do you think?

Jacopo

[*] if we are worried about "backward compatibility" (even if this is not actually a *compatibility* issue) we could keep the old ones (to call the new ones); I personally don't think it is necessary and we could clean them to have a cleaner build.xml file for future evolution.... but I would not be against keeping the old ones as well if there is enough consensus.

Re: Renaming some ant tasks to improve consistency

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Cheers,
Ruppert

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>
> Ok, I went ahead and committed the changes in rev. 1308370
> I know that these changes may annoy the persons that are used to the old/traditional names; I really think that the reviewed
> versions make more sense and, even if now will cause some headache, I am sure that in the future they will help to present a
> better/cleaner system to the first time users.
> Please give it some time to adjust to the new version and test it for some time; then if there are issues etc... we can review
> this work and/or modify it.
>
> For now I didn't change the name of the ant.sh/ant.bat scripts to ofbiz.sh/ofbiz.bat but I would like to consider it soon.

+1

Jacques

Posted by Anne <an...@cohsoft.com.au>.
On 3 April 2012 00:59, Jacopo Cappellato
<ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>wrote:

> For now I didn't change the name of the ant.sh/ant.bat scripts to
> ofbiz.sh/ofbiz.bat but I would like to consider it soon.

+1 Will reduce the number of people having problems because they are using
the wrong version of ant (e.g. "ant" instead of "./ant")

Thanks,

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/

Re: Renaming some ant tasks to improve consistency

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Jacques

From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

2012/3/30 Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>:
> [...]
>> run-tests-with-cobertura      Download Cobertura and perform code coverage (same as run-tests). You will need a valid Internet connection to download cobertura
>>
>> sonar                         Sonar code analysis. You need a Sonar instance running to use it. More info on http://www.sonarsource.org/
>>
>> start                         Start OFBiz
>> start-batch                   Start OFBiz as a separate process
>> start-debug                   Start OFBiz in debugging mode
>> start-pos                     Start OFBiz POS (Point of sale)
>> stop                          Stop OFBiz
>>
>> svninfo                       Update the Release-revision info in the footer. Note that you need a valid Internet connection and Subversion connected to the OFBiz repository for that
>>

>> On Mar 28, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Ankit Jain wrote:

Erwan de FERRIERES

Re: Renaming some ant tasks to improve consistency

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Ok,

Posted by Ankit Jain <an...@gmail.com>.
+1, now the name makes sense.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+0

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I am not against "deprecating" the targets (instead of removing them), and this is actually what we will probably end up doing.
By the way I agree with Pierre here on the general idea that the OFBiz trunk should be free to evolve without the burden of external sites and backward compatibility.
We already guarantee backward compatibility at the major release level: users using 10.04 will be sure that they can migrate from 10.04.X to 10.04.Y without issues.
Our main focus, when we work on the trunk should be that of improving the quality of the trunk; please also consider that a change in the trunk, with the current release schedule doesn't go into a release before about 12 to 24 months... plenty of time for websites to take updates and for publishers to issue a reprint :-)

Jacopo

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Same opinion :)

--
Nicolas MALIN
Consultant

Re: Renaming some ant tasks to improve consistency

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Jacopo Cappellato schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I have reviewed the names of our ant tasks and I would like to propose to rename [*] some of them to make them more consistent with what they actually do.
> In short, I would like to:
[..]

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
+0

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the proposal.

--
Ashish

Posted by Vikas Mayur <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

These new ones really make sense. IMO we don't need to keep the old ones.

Regards
Vikas

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.
+1

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.
+1

run-install-extseed always seemed to me to be the worst named task - a bit confusing as to what it is meant to do but such a vital one for keeping the db updated

Sam

Posted by "dhiraj.g" <dh...@nic.in>.
Hi,
I think it good Naming Convention.