Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2006/11/08 14:43:23 UTC

Spring-integration status (Was: svn commit: r472482 - /james/server/trunk/STATUS)

berndf@apache.org wrote:
>      spring-integration
> +        Goal: run James Server using Spring Framework instead of Phoenix/Avalon
> -        Owner: bernd
> +        Owner: berndf

Hi Bernd,

Bravo! I agree that "goal" is important there.

As you probably noticed I marked the status of "spring-integration" as
"completed prototype".

I see that you marked JAMES-665 as Fixed.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-665

Shouldn't we include something in our distribution to declare it fixed?
What do you think? Is it feasible to add something to our ant build that
automatically create the spring-ready distribution?

Have you already plan for this or should we consider this branch
"closed", as is, until someone will revamp the issue?

We should avoid to mantain 2 "assembly" files (phoenix + spring) and
maybe we should better create one from the other, or create a common
source for both.

Stefano

Re: Spring-integration status (Was: svn commit: r472482 - /james/server/trunk/STATUS)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/8/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> > On 11/8/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> >> I see that you marked JAMES-665 as Fixed.
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-665
> >>
> >> Shouldn't we include something in our distribution to declare it fixed?
> >
> > I don't get your question, sorry. What do you mean with "distribution"?
>
> I mean adding it in trunk and make sure that an "ant dist" create also
> the spring stuff and maybe a spring-ready package.
>
> The spring wired application could probably be used to debug the
> application without using remote debugging (running phoenix inside the
> IDE is much more complex than running spring).

What a waste... ;-) ... but, yes. :-)

> Anyway I think we should mark the issue as open (in-progress), because
> "fixed in 2.3.0" is misleading.

I would rather open new, more specific JIRAs for it (add ant, create
spring-config, integrate into trunk)

> Our 2.3.0 does not work with spring,
> even if your prototype could be adapted to work with 2.3.0.

The prototype is based in james2.3.0.jar. Never tried with TRUNK,
because it is a moving target (in terms of assembly.xml).

> Ok, you're active on it! Then most thing I wrote does not apply ;-)
> So we should updated the "Status:" line in the STATUS file to "active,
> completed prototype, in-progress integration" or something similar.

Already thought about that but this complicates the STATUS file.

> >> We should avoid to mantain 2 "assembly" files (phoenix + spring) and
> >> maybe we should better create one from the other, or create a common
> >> source for both.
> >
> > There was some trial and error and trick to make the spring-config
> > fit. But yes, it would be cool to have something like that. I will
> > have a check.
> >
> >  Bernd
>
> Yes, I remember you told this, and I had a look at the beans
> configuration but I have not spotted the "tricks".

Mainly the order of components is significant.
Sometimes it was neccessary to add class names to bean names in
addition to the simple names, like in
bean name="connections, org.apache.james.services.JamesConnectionManager"
But I have to revisit this because the whole lifecycling was completed
afterwards.

> So we'll wait for further news from you in the next weeks. Thank you for
> the update.

You are welcome :-)

  Bernd

Re: Spring-integration status (Was: svn commit: r472482 - /james/server/trunk/STATUS)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/12/06, Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > So we'll wait for further news from you in the next weeks. Thank you for
> > > the update.
> >
> > You are welcome :-)
>
> Thanks again!  I read the howto and it looks pretty straight forward.
> How feasible do you think it will be to have a second shell script
> that starts James using spring instead of Phoenix?  My thought is that
> the regular James checkout can be easily run in this alternate
> container, that would spur more people to take a look at it.

The shell script could be as easy as "java -classpath ...all libs...
o.a.j.integration.spring.Main" where lib contains the spring framework
libraries in addition to all james/avalon/cornerstone/other libraries.

It is not a matter of feasablility as much as of project layout and
how to handle spring dependencies.
for the time being I feel the "adoptional bundle"-approach I did is
the best way: take james-...jar from the "main distribution" build and
and all other libraries and bundle them with the very lean wrapping
code to become the "unofficial James Server Spring distribution".

  Bernd

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> I see that you marked JAMES-665 as Fixed.
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-665
>>
>> Shouldn't we include something in our distribution to declare it fixed?
>
> I don't get your question, sorry. What do you mean with "distribution"?

I mean adding it in trunk and make sure that an "ant dist" create also
the spring stuff and maybe a spring-ready package.

The spring wired application could probably be used to debug the
application without using remote debugging (running phoenix inside the
IDE is much more complex than running spring).

Anyway I think we should mark the issue as open (in-progress), because
"fixed in 2.3.0" is misleading. Our 2.3.0 does not work with spring,
even if your prototype could be adapted to work with 2.3.0.

>> Have you already plan for this or should we consider this branch
>> "closed", as is, until someone will revamp the issue?
>
> I am still working on it, especially an ant script would be important.
> But also integration with other applications.

Ok, you're active on it! Then most thing I wrote does not apply ;-)
So we should updated the "Status:" line in the STATUS file to "active,
completed prototype, in-progress integration" or something similar.

>> What do you think? Is it feasible to add something to our ant build that
>> automatically create the spring-ready distribution?
>
> As you can imagine I am not opposing this. But let us wait some weeks
> until I (or others) have done more work on it. Especially more
> extensive testing. Then we will for sure have some discussion around
> this.

OK!

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/8/06, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> berndf@apache.org wrote:
> >      spring-integration
> > +        Goal: run James Server using Spring Framework instead of Phoenix/Avalon
> > -        Owner: bernd
> > +        Owner: berndf
>
> Hi Bernd,
>
> Bravo! I agree that "goal" is important there.
>
> As you probably noticed I marked the status of "spring-integration" as
> "completed prototype".

This is fine.