Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Brian Federle <Br...@citrix.com> on 2013/07/22 20:32:59 UTC

Reformatting UI code

Hello,

Recently I discovered that all JS and UI code have been reformatted to 4 spaces:

commit ad69bc8da3244b783dd003ddf3184fca2762c514
Author: Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>
Date:   Thu Jul 18 15:39:28 2013 +0100

    Format JS

While I do appreciate people coming in to help clean up the UI code, and don't mind if we change the indent level to be consistent with the rest of the code base, this commit is causing a lot of git conflicts with various development branches I'm working on. Please give a bit more heads up in the future about this, try to CC the main UI developers about it first before committing - right now myself and Jessica Wang (jessica.wang@citrix.com) do the majority of UI development.

Thanks,
Brian

RE: Reformatting UI code

Posted by Brian Federle <Br...@citrix.com>.
> suppose u could revert the patch . But for features for 4.3 i think it should be rebase of your feature branches . I dont think this change should be impacting 4.2 not sure why u say thats the case.

It's OK, I've got the conflicts sorted out now. I don't have a problem with the new formatting conventions, so no need to revert in this case.

-Brian

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
Hi,

Very sorry about that! Glad to hear you got the conflicts resolved.

Re: Reformatting UI code

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:37:26AM -0600, Mike Tutkowski wrote:
>> One other thought here is that we might want to wait until, say, the day
>> after code freeze - if allowable - and then check in these kinds of changes
>> (basically give them special permission to go in after code freeze).
>>
>> I think they're valuable since they do make the code much more readable,
>> but it might be better if they go in once development is "frozen."
>
> The challenge with that, is that sweeping changes like this (or
> architectural changes as well) are best done *early* in a release cycle.
> The challenge we've run into here is that while 4.2 work is proceeding,
> master is open for 4.3 changes (and there is a preference that if
> something big is going to come in, nows the time to do it).
>
> Perhaps that model is what's broken?

I agree - and the package name change is another such change, that
when it lands will result in a ton of extra work for dealing with bugs
across branches.

If it's really just reformatting - why aren't we reformatting 4.2 as well.

Re: Reformatting UI code

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Yeah, I agree, as well, that ideally such a change would go into the
younger branch (master, in this case) as opposed to being placed in a
branch that is about to be frozen.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*

RE: Reformatting UI code