Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Víctor Hugo Oliveira Molinar <vh...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/31 14:08:18 UTC

Reverting from VirtualNode

Once we set nodes to act as virtualnodes, there is an way to revert to
manual assigned token?

I have two nodes for testing and there I set 'num_tokens: 256' and let
initial_token line commented. VirtualNodes worked fine.
But then I tried to switch back by commenting 'num_tokens' line and
uncommenting 'initial_token', although after starting cassandra and typing,
./nodetool -h 'ip' ring
there are still the default 256 tokens per node.

What am I missing?

Att,
*Víctor Hugo Molinar*

Re: Reverting from VirtualNode

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:08 AM, Víctor Hugo Oliveira Molinar <
vhmolinar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Once we set nodes to act as virtualnodes, there is an way to revert to
> manual assigned token?

On a given node? My understanding is that there is no officially supported
way. You now have 256 contiguous tokens.

You can decommission the node, have it stream all its data to other nodes,
and then re-add it with a single token.

You could also removetoken (or "better" (?) unsafeassassinate) each of the
tokens and then restart the node with auto_bootstrap:false to join the node
at its old token, then repair it. That would probably work because your
node still has the data for the ranges it had before you converted it, but
has a risk of stale reads at CL.ONE before repair completes. The benefit
here is that you avoid bootstrapping data that you already have on your
node.

https://engineering.eventbrite.com/changing-the-ip-address-of-a-cassandra-node-with-auto_bootstrapfalse/

=Rob