Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Arkal Arjun Rao <aa...@ucsc.edu> on 2016/03/15 19:12:25 UTC

Reserved memory and disk for mesos

Hi All,

I read this line in the book "Building Applications on  Mesos - David
Greenberg":

" The slave will reserve 1 GB or 50% of detected memory, whichever
is smaller, in order to run itself and other operating system services.
Likewise, it will reserve 5 GB or 50% of detected disk, whichever is
smaller. "

I haven't been able to figure out what "operating system services" refers
to, and whether is is really necessary to block off the entire 5Gb of disk
 for that purpose. Could anyone shed some light on what the disk is used
for, in better detail?

Ideally, I'd like as much of the disk as possible for my framework.

Thanks in advance,
Arjun
--
Arjun Arkal Rao

PhD Student,
Haussler Lab,
UC Santa Cruz,
USA

aarao@ucsc.edu

Re: Reserved memory and disk for mesos

Posted by Arkal Arjun Rao <aa...@ucsc.edu>.
Hi Vinod and Zameer,

Thanks for your replies.

Vinod, I understand it can be overridden with the flag. I guess I want to
know what the consequences of doing so would be.
Zameer, do you feel 5Gb is required or could I go lower?

Arjun

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.
Arkal,