Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/05/15 04:38:43 UTC

Processing modified messages (was: Matcher/Mailet Library)

[I changed the topic, since it really has nothing to do with the LIBRARY
issue I had raised]

> the mail gets written to the spool only if the state is changed, which
means
> it needs to be transferred to the next processor. If the state is
unchanged,
> it won't be written back to the spool.

That is what I was looking for, but I didn't have time to look for it
earlier.

So GHOST is special cased, otherwise it goes to a processor of that name
(which means that root, transport and error are hardcoded processor names).
I believe that explains the pattern in the mailets for explicitly posting a
new copy, and ghosting the original.  As I understand it, one might be able
to do the same thing by setting the old message's state to Mail.ROOT or
Mail.TRANSPORT, but I haven't tried.  Simply updating a message without
sending it to a different processor won't update the spooled contents.

> If it is in the same processor, the mail message would be transferred
> on to the next mailet without being written to the spool.

But if it is in the same processor, since the message has been changed, why
won't the changed version of the message be effective?

	--- Noel