Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2003/11/11 22:20:11 UTC

Re: [RT] ComponentizedProcessor (was RE: Migrating TreeProcessor to Fortress)

Tony Collen wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> 3/ View inheritance
>> Views are nothing more than virtual serializers, with the main
>> difference that their hint is defined at runtime by the "cocoon-view"
>> parameter. And since these are components, lookup goes up to the
>> parent sitemap if a view is not declared in a given sitemap, thus
>> providing inheritance.
>

> Is this really needed, or desirable?  Views are not currently
> inherited, and making them inherited may break something that people
> already have setup.  Were views made uninheritable on purpose?
>
> Consider an environment where you have subsitemaps delegated out for
> separate departments or people to use.  If you have some views in the
> main sitemap, I wouldn't neccesarily want them propagating down to
> subsitemaps.
>
> Would an empty <map:views/> tag would override any views in a sitemap?

Nope. You will only define no local views, meaning it will have no
effect of any kind.

> But maybe this isn't really a problem, if you have everything in a
> subsitemap, even your "main" one, then you wouldn't have to worry.
> Likewise, just declare no components in the supersitemap and you're
> good to go.

That's a solution. Another one may be to take advantage of the
public/private component managers I suggested. We could declare
"private" views and resources that would be only visible in the current
sitemap. But I'm not sure we need this extra semantic complexity.

Sylvain

Re: [RT] ComponentizedProcessor (was RE: Migrating TreeProcessor to Fortress)

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Tony Collen wrote:

<snip>

>> But maybe this isn't really a problem, if you have everything in a
>> subsitemap, even your "main" one, then you wouldn't have to worry.
>> Likewise, just declare no components in the supersitemap and you're
>> good to go.
>

> That's a solution. Another one may be to take advantage of the
> public/private component managers I suggested. We could declare
> "private" views and resources that would be only visible in the current
> sitemap. But I'm not sure we need this extra semantic complexity.

Hmm,

<map:view inheritable="true"/> ?

Seems simple enough for me.  Not too keen on the implementation details
though ;)

PS, here in the US it's Veteran's Day, which seems very similar to your
holiday in France.  I had to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and
transfer the title for a car I just bought, but I found out it's a
government holiday, so the important stuff is all closed today ;(

> Sylvain

Tony