Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Gertjan van Oosten <ge...@West.NL> on 2008/07/22 17:29:35 UTC

Building Tomahawk

Hi devs!

I'm having some trouble getting Tomahawk to build (see also TOMAHAWK-1304).

Since I was unable to find any documentation about how to set up a local
Tomahawk development environment, I'm trying my luck...
I've checked out myfaces/tomahawk/trunk/assembly now, and I am able to
install that into my local repository using:

  mvn -N -Dmyfaces-shared.version=2.0.7 install

Is that the correct command to use?  If not, what is it (and is there
some documentation somewhere where I can read about this and more)?

Then, after checking out myfaces/tomahawk/trunk/core, I am unable to
build that because of the following error:

  [INFO] A required plugin was not found: Plugin could not be found - check that the goal name is correct: Unable to download the artifact from any repository

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.myfaces.buildtools -DartifactId=myfaces-builder-plugin \
	  -Dversion=1.0.1-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=maven-plugin -Dfile=/path/to/file
  Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there:     mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.apache.myfaces.buildtools -DartifactId=myfaces-builder-plugin \
	  -Dversion=1.0.1-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=maven-plugin -Dfile=/path/to/file \
	   -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

    org.apache.myfaces.buildtools:myfaces-builder-plugin:maven-plugin:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT

  from the specified remote repositories:
    central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

What now?

Kind regards,
--
-- Gertjan van Oosten, gertjan@West.NL, West Consulting B.V., +31 15 2191 600

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by Gertjan van Oosten <ge...@West.NL>.
Hi Simon,

As quoted from "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>:
> So what I think is happening is that you have (explicitly or implicitly)
> got maven2.mirrors.skynet.be configured as a "mirror" of the main
> repo1.maven.org repository. But that mirror hasn't got the latest
> release yet. The parent pom version 6 was released on the 11th of july
> (see timestamps on the files in the repo1.maven.org directory), so I'm
> surprised but that does appear to be the case.

Our messages seem to have crossed in the mail.  You're absolutely
spot-on, of course.  What's the use of mirrors if they show an
incomplete reflection, eh?

Cheers,
--
-- Gertjan van Oosten, gertjan@West.NL, West Consulting B.V., +31 15 2191 600

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
Gertjan van Oosten schrieb:
> Hi Simon,
>
> As quoted from "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>:
>
>> But at the moment, as your error message shows, there is a
>> snapshot-level *plugin* required to build tomahawk. And the root apache
>> pom does not enable the snapshot repo for plugins, just for dependencies.
>>
>> So it is still necessary to add the apache snapshot repo to your
>> ~/.m2/settings.xml, at least in this case.
>>

> Done that, but now it gets stuck on this:
>
>   % mvn clean
>   [INFO] Scanning for projects...
>   [INFO] snapshot org.apache.myfaces.tomahawk:tomahawk-project:1.1.7-SNAPSHOT: checking for updates from apache.org
>   Downloading: http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/myfaces/tomahawk/tomahawk-project/1.1.7-SNAPSHOT/tomahawk-project-1.1.7-SNAPSHOT.pom
>   5K downloaded
>   Downloading: http://maven2.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/maven2/org/apache/myfaces/myfaces/6/myfaces-6.pom
>   [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   [ERROR] FATAL ERROR
>   [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
>   GroupId: org.apache.myfaces
>   ArtifactId: myfaces
>   Version: 6
>
>   Reason: Unable to download the artifact from any repository
>
>     org.apache.myfaces:myfaces:pom:6
>
>   from the specified remote repositories:
>     central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>     myfaces-staging (http://people.apache.org/builds/myfaces/m2-staging-repository),
>     apache.org (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository)
>

> Sure enough, if I check the downloaded tomahawk-project-1.1.7-SNAPSHOT.pom
> in my M2 repo it has:
>
>   <parent>
>       <groupId>org.apache.myfaces</groupId>
>       <artifactId>myfaces</artifactId>
>       <version>6</version>
>   </parent>
>
> which seems to be wrong...

Why do you think that parent is wrong? It look ok to me.

The referenced parent pom is in the standard repository:
  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/myfaces/myfaces/6/

And you clearly have this repo enabled:

  from the specified remote repositories:
    myfaces-staging (http://people.apache.org/builds/myfaces/m2-staging-repository),
    apache.org (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository)

But there is also this message:

Downloading: http://maven2.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/maven2/org/apache/myfaces/myfaces/6/myfaces-6.pom

So what I think is happening is that you have (explicitly or implicitly)
got maven2.mirrors.skynet.be configured as a "mirror" of the main
repo1.maven.org repository. But that mirror hasn't got the latest
release yet. The parent pom version 6 was released on the 11th of july
(see timestamps on the files in the repo1.maven.org directory), so I'm
surprised but that does appear to be the case.

Regards,
Simon

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by Gertjan van Oosten <ge...@West.NL>.
As quoted from Gertjan van Oosten <ge...@West.NL>:
>   <parent>
>       <groupId>org.apache.myfaces</groupId>
>       <artifactId>myfaces</artifactId>
>       <version>6</version>
>   </parent>
>
> which seems to be wrong...

Never mind that, it is a problem with the maven2 central mirror I was
using.  Gave up on using mirrors for now, they all seem to be out of
date one way or the other...  It seemed a good idea at the time; oh well.

Kind regards,
--
-- Gertjan van Oosten, gertjan@West.NL, West Consulting B.V., +31 15 2191 600

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by Gertjan van Oosten <ge...@West.NL>.
Hi Simon,

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
Hmm..actually, in most cases it's even easier than that. I hadn't
noticed, but the root apache parent pom now defines and enables the
snapshot repository by default *for dependencies*. So normally there is
nothing to do (and I've tested this).

But at the moment, as your error message shows, there is a
snapshot-level *plugin* required to build tomahawk. And the root apache
pom does not enable the snapshot repo for plugins, just for dependencies.

So it is still necessary to add the apache snapshot repo to your
~/.m2/settings.xml, at least in this case.

Stick the following in your ~/.m2/settings.xml file:

  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>apache.snapshots.profile</id>
      <activation>
        <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
      </activation>
      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>apache.org</id>
          <name>Maven Snapshots</name>
          <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
          <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
          </releases>
          <snapshots>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
          </snapshots>
        </repository>
      </repositories>
      <pluginRepositories>
        <pluginRepository>
          <id>apache.org</id>
          <name>Maven Plugin Snapshots</name>
          <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
          <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
          </releases>
          <snapshots>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
          </snapshots>
        </pluginRepository>
      </pluginRepositories>
    </profile>
  </profiles>

Regards,
Simon

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM, simon.kitching@chello.at
<si...@chello.at> wrote:
> Not true, Matthias.
>
> One way to build tomahawk is to check out the root of the tomahawk project,
> and build it all. But even that will probably not work because tomahawk
> trunk can depend on myfaces trunk etc.

last time I tried I had to build some build-tools stuff too.
Perhaps was just wrong on my box, not sure.

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by "simon.kitching@chello.at" <si...@chello.at>.
Not true, Matthias.

Re: Building Tomahawk

Posted by Gertjan van Oosten <ge...@West.NL>.
Hi Matthias,

As quoted from Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>:
> That was already discussed.

I must have overlooked that; do you have a pointer for me?

> You need to build everything... in order to build something from
> (tomahawk) trunk

Could you be more specific?  How much is "everything", i.e. where do I
start?  At the root of the complete MyFaces hierarchy???

Kind regards,
--
-- Gertjan van Oosten, gertjan@West.NL, West Consulting B.V., +31 15 2191 600

Re: Building Tomahawk