Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Cristian Senchiu <cr...@yahoo.com> on 2012/03/27 13:11:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache as Proxy in a LAN, behind a proxy

Hi there,

I hope that someone knows the answer to this.
I'm in a LAN that's behind a squid proxy. Any access to the outside world goes through this proxy.
On
 one machine in the LAN I have an Apache that tries to proxy requests to
 a certain location to a server outside of the LAN. (Why this you might
ask. Because i need to avoid the cross origin resource sharing.
I checked the logs on the squid proxy side and the request doesn't reach it, there's no log there
I checked apache side, and the error.log says
(OS 10060)Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle
nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht richtig reagiert hat, oder die
hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht
reagiert hat.  : proxy: HTTP: attempt to connect to x.x.x.x:80 failed
The english translation would be :
(OS 10060)A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. : proxy: HTTP: attempt to connect to x.x.x.x:80 (x.x.x.x) failed
The whole process works like a charm when Apache is on machines
with direct access to Internet. But not when I'm behind a proxy.
What I presume is that the proxy settings of the machine where Apache is, are not used, and Apache tries to connect directly not through the proxy.
Do
 you know if there is any configuration where i tell Apache to use
machines proxy settings? Or where I could tell Apache that it is behind a
 proxy and give it the proxy settings?

Re: [users@httpd] Apache as Proxy in a LAN, behind a proxy

Posted by Martin Hasicek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think, this part of documentation should be useful
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

mh

Posted by Cristian Senchiu <cr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Tom, Martin,

Thanks for your help, it opened my eyes.
Everything working now.
And sorry for the two replies to you and on list...

Cheers
Cristi.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Cristian Senchiu <cr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>[…]
> Do you know if there is any configuration where i tell Apache to use
> machines proxy settings? Or where I could tell Apache that it is behind a
> proxy and give it the proxy settings?

Only windows machines have 'machine proxy settings', and Apache will
not look at them.

You should look at ProxyRemote:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxyremote

It will depend upon the type of your upstream proxy as to whether it
actually works or not.

Cheers

Tom