Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by William Shackleford <ws...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/23 13:53:23 UTC

log4j

Netbeans appears to include log4j even the most recent version.

in

netbeans/ide/modules/ext/log4j-1.2.15.jar

Our IT security group has flagged it and requires that it be removed even
though as it is version 1 it is not vulnerable to the most famous issue as
apparently there were other issues  and it is no longer supported.

What are the consequences of removing it?

How would I go about committing  or just suggestion a change to have it
removed from future versions to avoid triggering our security team from
telling everyone to delete it and maybe all of netbeans with it?

Re: Re: log4j

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Kind of moot point now but FYI https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Re: log4j

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
Hi,

Re: log4j

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
Hi,

to prevent duplicate work: I'm preparing a patch to get log4j out.

Greetings

Matthias

Am Donnerstag, dem 23.03.2023 um 09:53 -0400 schrieb William
Shackleford:

Re: log4j

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
I just took a look at the code and there is only one commented out line
that mentions log4j in the html validator code.  "git grep log4j" shows the
string appearing in plenty of other places, but it doesn't look like log4jh
actually gets used anywhere!

Scott

Re: log4j

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
Hi,

Am Freitag, dem 24.03.2023 um 01:59 +0000 schrieb Eirik Bakke:
> Is there any reason to use log4j instead of java.util.logging these
> days? If log4j is only use in one place in the NetBeans codebase, it
> might be beneficial to get rid of it in any case--one less
> dependency, and fewer overlapping logging libraries.

sure, but the usage is only in the codebase by proxy. The html parser
and validator are 90% (or more) external code. That code uses log4j.
You have to look into the code that is used to build the external
binaries for these two components to see the impact of log4j.

Greetings

Matthias

RE: log4j

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.