Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Larsen <la...@qec.com> on 2002/05/09 20:44:35 UTC

Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers

I'm running out of hair to pull out here...

My ultimate goal is to server dynamically generated
PDF documents generated with iText. I've got it working
just fine with MSIE. However, I was just getting blank
pages with Netscape (and it wasn't even showing the toolbar
for Acrobat). With NS6 I could at least see that it started
an AcroRd32.exe process, but NS4 didn't even get that far.

So, I did some tests to rule out some variables. I grabbed
a handful of pre-generated PDF files and stuck them on
my Apache 1.3.23 server. All browsers could display the
PDFs just fine.  Then I set up Tomcat 4.0.3 to server the
same files directly without going through Apache. MSIE worked,
but both NS browsers gave a blank page with no Acrobat plugin
toolbar. Again NS6 managed to start an Acrobat process, NS4
didn't.

My production environment is Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.3
connected with mod_jk.

Re: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers

Posted by Jeff Larsen <la...@qec.com>.
The iText documentation supplies a workaround for some
MSIE problems and I haven't had any trouble with it so
far. The fact that Netscape isn't reading STATIC PDF files
served by Tomcat makes me think there's something hinky
in Tomcat. I'll be certain to post my findings, if there
are any!

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Larsen <la...@qec.com>.
Is your tomcat set up with a direct http connector? What happens
if you bypass apache? When I serve static PDF files with apache,
Netscape is OK, when I serve them directly from tomcat, no go.

Jeff

Posted by Mats Nyberg <mn...@tim.se>.
we've had the same problem. it turned out that the PDF we were serving
wasn't
"optimized for the web".

we produced it using adobe acrobat, i don't know what this corresponds
to in the
PDF produced.

Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:17:55 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Win32)