Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/01/22 18:10:47 UTC

Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Ant has packages for zip, bzip and tar stuff. Really?
Ok, I know you all know.  ;-)

The point is that some of these packages IIUC were copied in Avalon repo
as indipendent packages, and then since they were not in scope I put
them in commons sandbox, and now we are deprecating the avalon versions.

Now, we have asked some time back, "why not let Ant use the commons
versions"?

Gump... blah blah blah... bootstrap... blah blah blah...

Now that they have been put in commons for some time, it's quite evident
that there, they are dead.

So, the solution seems simply to make these separate jars and make them
available also separately from Ant.

  ant.jar
  ant-zip.jar
  ant-bzip.jar
  ant-tar.jar

Ant keeps them, they are maintained, and we get separate jars to use in
other projects.

Comments?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>So, the solution seems simply to make these separate jars and make
>>them available also separately from Ant.
>

> No problem with that.

+1

Conor

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> Done.

Great, thanks.

Stefan

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On 23 Jan 2003, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> By moving around the code for the bzip2 package, the attribution for
> the original author Keiron Liddle, who donated the code to Ant, has
> been lost.
>
> Could somebody with karma to commons-sandbox (I don't have commit
> access to commons) please re-insert the lines

Done. I've removed bzip2 from the IO project as it seems to be in Commons
Bzip2 already.

Hen

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 23 Jan 2003, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> As you noted, the code has moved around, but not the supporting
> community.

While we are at this ...

By moving around the code for the bzip2 package, the attribution for
the original author Keiron Liddle, who donated the code to Ant, has
been lost.

Could somebody with karma to commons-sandbox (I don't have commit
access to commons) please re-insert the lines

/*
 * This package is based on the work done by Keiron Liddle, Aftex Software
 * <ke...@aftexsw.com> to whom the Ant project is very grateful for his
 * great code.
 */

to all java sources in that package?

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 23 Jan 2003, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> As you noted, the code has moved around, but not the supporting
> community.

While we are at this ...

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:03, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Ant must be able to bootstrap itself without any additional libraries
> (apart from an XML parser) is a long-standing requirement for Ant.  As
> using <jar> is part of the bootstrap process and <jar> requires the
> zip classes, we have a problem here, that may be solvable by some CVS
> tricks.

Or solve it the way I did by creating a <bootstrapJar/> task.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 23 Jan 2003, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> As you noted, the code has moved around, but not the supporting
> community.

While we are at this ...

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Now, we have asked some time back, "why not let Ant use the commons
> versions"?
>
> Gump... blah blah blah... bootstrap... blah blah blah...

Gump is completely unimportant here.

Ant must be able to bootstrap itself without any additional libraries
(apart from an XML parser) is a long-standing requirement for Ant.  As
using <jar> is part of the bootstrap process and <jar> requires the
zip classes, we have a problem here, that may be solvable by some CVS
tricks.

> Now that they have been put in commons for some time, it's quite
> evident that there, they are dead.

As you noted, the code has moved around, but not the supporting
community.  The move from Ant to Avalon has happened without involving
the Ant community at large (some may have noticed it, but mostly by
accident).  The Avalon community has never trieds to support them and
passed them on to commons.  At least that's my view of history 8-)

What's probably more important is that this code doesn't have a real
community at all.  Those packages have been left more or less
unmodified since they've been imported.  There is no active
development of that code.

So they may be useful as classes that can get reused by others, but
they don't have a community to carry them as an independent component
IMHO.

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Bzip, tar, zip, etc