Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by Morten Bjørhus <mo...@ttyl.com> on 2001/11/27 08:38:39 UTC

HTTP/1.1 patch for httpd 1.3.20 ?

Hi, we're running 1.3.20 httpd servers as reverse proxies in front of
some application and web servers, and our users are experiencing
problems with IE browsers - the problem being that the browser seems
to ignore the HTTP/1.1 Cache-control header (probably since the
respone from mod_proxy is always HTTP/1.0). This is the same issue as
raised by swilcoxon@iqmktg.com on this list on 21 Feb 2001, I guess
(modproxy-dev-thread.107@apache.org).

It appears that httpd 1.3.19 can be patched to be HTTP/1.1 compliant
by using the patch found at
http://dev.apache.org/dist/patches/apply_to_1.3.19/
(modproxy-dev-thread.130@apache.org).

In a later posting (modproxy-dev-thread.187@apache.org) there is also
reference to a patch for 1.3.20-dev, which can be found at
http://dev.apache.org/dist/patches/apply_to_1.3-current/ . Is this
patch what we should go for to fix our problem, or does the "-dev"
imply that it might not work as is for the official 1.3.20 release?

Also - if we upgrade to 1.3.22, is this patch included or does it need
patching to become HTTP/1.1 compliant as well?

Thanx,

Morten.

-
 Morten Bjørhus, TTYL
 morten.bjorhus@ttyl.com, http://www.ttyl.com
 tel: +47 24112217, mob: +47 41660525

Redirects, Set-Cookie: headers, and HTTP/1.1 mod_proxy

Posted by Morten Bjørhus <mo...@ttyl.com>.
I have patched up our apache 1.3.20 server with the current
source/patch at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-proxy/module-1.0/  with the
effect that the it now returns HTTP/1.1 responses instead of HTTP/1.0.
This server is used as a reverse proxy server that fetches content
from two different real servers using ProxyPass and RewriteRule [P]
directives.

However, after applying the patch the reverse proxy  seems to eat some
Set-Cookie: headers set by my real servers in server redirect

Here is an example: I have the reverse proxy listening at
xxx.yyy.zzz.www and the real server is listening on 127.0.0.1, both
are running on the same machine.

If I do a request directly to the real server, I get

-----------------start-------------------
bash-2.04$ telnet 127.0.0.1 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
HTTP/1.1
Host: myhost.mydomain.com

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Server: MDNServer
Connection: close
Set-Cookie: moblocale=en_US;path=/
Location: /agent/mobmain?mobmain=1
Set-Cookie: mobsess=PKG2I2QAAAACDFD0WURQAAA;path=/

<HEAD><TITLE>302 Moved Temporarily</TITLE></HEAD>
<H1>302 Moved Temporarily</H1><BODY>
</BODY>

Connection closed by foreign host.
-----------------stop-------------------

However, when I do the same request to the reverse proxy, the first
Set-Cookie: header disappears:

-----------------start-------------------
bash-2.04$ telnet xxx.yyy.zzz.www 80
Trying xxx.yyy.zzz.www...
Connected to xxx.yyy.zzz.www.

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:00:58 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6a
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

61

0

Connection closed by foreign host.

-----------------stop-------------------

Why doesn't the proxy let the "Set-Cookie: moblocale=en_US;path=/"
header through? It just disappears!

What happens here?

M.

Re: HTTP/1.1 patch for httpd 1.3.20 ?

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Current stable snapshots of HTTP/1.1 proxy and httpd 1.3-current are at

http://cvs.apache.org/builds/httpd-proxy/

You could use these, as the idea is to fold this in to the next 1.3
release.

Chuck

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 02:38 , Morten Bjørhus wrote:

> Hi, we're running 1.3.20 httpd servers as reverse proxies in front of
> some application and web servers, and our users are experiencing
> problems with IE browsers - the problem being that the browser seems
> to ignore the HTTP/1.1 Cache-control header (probably since the
> respone from mod_proxy is always HTTP/1.0). This is the same issue as
> raised by swilcoxon@iqmktg.com on this list on 21 Feb 2001, I guess
> (modproxy-dev-thread.107@apache.org).
>
> It appears that httpd 1.3.19 can be patched to be HTTP/1.1 compliant
> by using the patch found at
> http://dev.apache.org/dist/patches/apply_to_1.3.19/
> (modproxy-dev-thread.130@apache.org).
>
> In a later posting (modproxy-dev-thread.187@apache.org) there is also
> reference to a patch for 1.3.20-dev, which can be found at
> http://dev.apache.org/dist/patches/apply_to_1.3-current/ . Is this
> patch what we should go for to fix our problem, or does the "-dev"
> imply that it might not work as is for the official 1.3.20 release?
>
> Also - if we upgrade to 1.3.22, is this patch included or does it need
> patching to become HTTP/1.1 compliant as well?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Morten.
>
> -
>  Morten Bjørhus, TTYL