Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Tiwari, Shailendra" <Sh...@macmillan.com> on 2015/12/22 20:15:33 UTC

Best practices on monitoring Solr

Hi,

Last week our Solr Search was un-responsive and we need to re-boot the server, but we were able to find out after customer complained about it. What's best way to monitor that search is working?
We can always add Gomez alerts from UI.
What are the best practices?

Thanks

Shail

Re: Best practices on monitoring Solr

Posted by Modassar Ather <mo...@gmail.com>.
Last week our Solr Search was un-responsive and we need to re-boot the
server, but we were able to find out after customer complained about it.
What's best way to monitor that search is working?

May not be the best way but you can write a class which keeps on checking
the status of all the nodes on SolrCloud (assuming you are using SolrCloud)
on certain interval.
If the node(s) status is down then you can take a decision of restarting
Solr cluster. The restart of SolrCloud can be automated using some script.
If the state of the node(s) is recovering then wait for sometime and check
if it has recovered and has an active state. If it has not recovered even
after some time waiting then take a decision of restarting the SolrCloud
instances.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Modassar

Posted by Debraj Manna <su...@gmail.com>.
We use datadog <https://www.datadoghq.com/>.

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Hi,

Posted by Florian Gleixner <fl...@redflo.de>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
Solr does have a monitoring wiki page, but it is fairly weak and could use
more serious contribution, including suggestions from this email thread.

This is also a good example of where the wiki still has value relative to
the formal Solr Reference Guide. E.g., third parties can add tool and
service descriptions and users can add their experiences and own tips. The
Reference Guide probably should have at least a cursory summary of Solr
monitoring (beyond just documenting JMX), probably simply referring users
to the wiki. IOW, details on monitoring are beyond the scope of the
Reference Guide itself (other than raw JMX and ping.)

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Emir Arnautovic <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi Shail,

Posted by William Bell <bi...@gmail.com>.