Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com> on 2009/02/05 20:02:27 UTC

Distributed Search Question

Hello all. I am using distributed search over three servers, and found that a
shard query to one of the boxes sometimes results in two hits to each of the
other boxes. What is the purpose for having 2 hits? Do we need both?

Re: Distributed Search Question

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM, oleg_gnatovskiy
<ol...@citysearch.com> wrote:
> Hello all. I am using distributed search over three servers, and found that a
> shard query to one of the boxes sometimes results in two hits to each of the
> other boxes. What is the purpose for having 2 hits? Do we need both?

The first hit is to simply gather ids of the top matching documents
(and first-phase faceting).
The second hit requests stored fields and does highlighting (and
possible second-phase faceting).

This architecture allows greater scalability and higher aggregate
throughput by minimizing the amount of work done.

-Yonik