Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Stephen Alrich Marshall <cl...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/20 19:40:06 UTC

Web Writer Difficulties

Hi,

I routinely use Open Office Web Writer to write Html. Its advantage is
that I don't get the message "You need to buy the plug-in to do that!".

But oh the woes.

Who wants to know what my concerns are? I have encountered some very
serious problems. (Changes I make in html code are REMOVED by some sort
of code-check engine.) I would like to find out how to tweak some of the
built-in parameters. (Why on Earth are margins automatically set to .79
inches?) I would like to customize the code formatting engine to suit my
particular tastes. If my placement of the cursor would persist across
wysiwyg and code view changes, that would be so helpful! And then there
is the search and replace engine... groan.

Please connect me with the group which might be interested in the
improvements I'm discussing.

Stephen Marshall
Dispolemic.Blogspot.Com
802-922-1446 Cell

Re: Web Writer Difficulties

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Stephen,

Stephen Alrich Marshall schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I routinely use Open Office Web Writer to write Html. Its advantage is
> that I don't get the message "You need to buy the plug-in to do that!".
>
> But oh the woes.
>
> Who wants to know what my concerns are? I have encountered some very
> serious problems. (Changes I make in html code are REMOVED by some sort
> of code-check engine.)

The Writer/Web module has not been maintained for a long time. Search
Bugzilla for issues concerning Writer/Web to get an insight in the
situation.

  I would like to find out how to tweak some of the
> built-in parameters. (Why on Earth are margins automatically set to .79
> inches?)

Because that is the equivalent to the default 2cm page margins?

  I would like to customize the code formatting engine to suit my
> particular tastes.

Another way for you is to write your documents in Writer and export it
using the XHTML export filter. At the moment the filter transforms only
simple page layout, but does it in a transparent and valid way. You can
extend the filter by editing the xslt-files and need not to do anything
in the core.

  If my placement of the cursor would persist across
> wysiwyg and code view changes, that would be so helpful! And then there
> is the search and replace engine... groan.
>
> Please connect me with the group which might be interested in the
> improvements I'm discussing.

Currently there is exists no "group" who works on Writer/Web. You would
have to start at the very beginning. That means that you have to start
improvements of the core yourself and then try to motivate other
developers for such a task. But I personally doubt, that there is any
interest in Writer/Web. In the years under Sun/Oracle there had even
been discussions to drop Writer/Web totally in favor for an xslt-export
filter.

Kind regards
Regina