Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Thomas Berger <th...@stz-ida.de> on 2008/04/19 17:28:08 UTC

Problems running Felix on a PocketPC

Hello,

for the last few hours, I tried to install Felix 1.0.3 on my IPAQ PDA.
This one is running Windows Mobile 2003. But  I simply can't get Felix
working. After entering my profile name, for every bundle that shall be
installed, I get this error:

Auto-properties install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to
cache bundle: file:/Java/af-1.0.3/bundle/org.apache.felix.shell-1.0.0.jar

I know that there are issues on Windows Mobile with absolute paths and
path containing spaces, as I have had installed a lot of other
OSGi-Frameworks on mobile devices. Thus, my config.properties deklares
public paths as well:

felix.cache.dir=/Java/af-1.0.3/cache
felix.auto.start.1= \
 file:/Java/af-1.0.3/bundle/org.apache.felix.log-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar \
 file:/Java/af-1.0.3/bundle/org.apache.felix.shell-1.0.0.jar \
 file:/Java/af-1.0.3/bundle/org.apache.felix.shell.tui-1.0.0.jar \
 file:/Java/af-1.0.3/bundle/org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.0.2.jar

The bundle files are present, of course.

For your information, the profile directory is created successfully,
after starting Felix. So the file  ".../cache/thomas/bundle0/bundle.id"
can be created.

So what is my error? Why can't the bundles be loaded or cached? I really
appreciate any help.

Regards,
Thomas Berger

Re: Problems running Felix on a PocketPC

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> However, if I'm not mistaken, chances are high that this issue will be
> resolved in 1.0.4 (if I understand Karl correctly). Feel free to try
> the current trunk to see if that works already without that property.

Yes, Karl added a bunch of "well known" protocol package prefixes, so
hopefully this type of issue will not be as common in the future.

-> richard

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Thomas,

On Apr 19, 2008, at 21:13 , Thomas Berger wrote:

> thanks for your reply, but the error message I posted was only an
> example. The error occurs with all bundles.

Ok.

> But for your information: I found the error by myself. The problem
> does not relate to the PDA in particular but to the J9 VM in
> general. One has to specify the parameter
>   -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.ibm.oti.net.www.protocol
> when starting the process. I think this is because Felix uses a Sun
> implementation by default that is absent in the J9 class library.

Good, it's always nice to hear that someone got Felix to run on yet
another platform!

> So a LNK-File for starting Felix on Windows Mobile might look like
> this:
>   255#"\Storage Card\J9\PPRO11\bin\j9.exe" -jcl:ppro11  -
> Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.ibm.oti.net.www.protocol -jar
> "\Storage Card\java\af-1.0.3\bin\felix.jar"
> Hope that others with the same problem will profit from this
> message...

There actually already is a FAQ item on that:
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-faq.html

It does not explicitly mention what to do for J9 yet though.

Posted by Thomas Berger <th...@stz-ida.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.