Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Tim Dawson <td...@is.com> on 2001/02/26 02:47:43 UTC

PROPOSAL (was RE: log4j dependency in taglibs?)

Mike Cannon-Brookes writes
> What we need is debugging information / errors logged from
> within tags.
> There's no other way to do this than add log4j logging to
> each taglib. (If
> we decide it's necessary).

The other approach is the listener aproach I mentioned in my previous
posting, which is a fine solution for one tag, but I don't think it's
appropriate to apply that solution to the entire set of taglibs.

I'd like to know what to do for my submission, so I'm submitting the
following as an official proposal and we can vote it up or down:

We already have one dependency (albeit a completely obvious and unavoidable
one) with the SERVLET_JAR that needs to be defined.  We should make
LOG4J_JAR (much like SERVLET_JAR) a required element in the build files of
taglibs that use log4j, and make the log4j categories used be specifically
called out in the documentation.

This must be done in a consistent manner, so that (for example) the i18n
taglib doesn't end up doing it differently than all the other taglibs.

Tim