Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@stinky.com> on 2001/12/01 02:26:12 UTC

[FAQ] jGuru FAQ Update

jGuru maintains FAQs and Forums on Servlets, JSP, and Tomcat (as well as
many other Java topics).  Here is an automated update on recent postings to
Tomcat-related FAQs.  Please direct flames and feedback to alex@jguru.com .

 - Alex

++ JavaServer Pages (JSP) FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JSP

My JSP application runs
fine sometimes, but on other instances, when i try to refresh the page, the server outputs only a  part of the page. In the Tomcat Console, I see
"IOException, Connection reset by peer". If I keep refreshing the page, it
loads the complete page at some point. Otherwise I have to restart the server and try again. Any suggestions on how I can overcome this?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=568124

I'm working on the chinese version of our project. I already set the charset to GB2312 for all jsp pages to display simplified chinese correctly. Now I need to pass data within forms between jsp pages. In the english version, we used request.getParameter to receive these data, but after changing the charset setting, it causes the get data to be unreadable. Any solutions on how I can overcome this problem?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=568118

I am getting an "Out of Memory" error running my JSP applications under Tomcat. How do I increase the default JVM heap size settings that Tomcat uses upon startup?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=568115

I have developed a site in JSP. Whenever I type www.name.com in address bar the url changes to www.name.com/index.jsp. How do I prevent the index.jsp from showing up in the address bar?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=568108

I have got this error when I tried to access the Tomcat welcome page at http://localhost:8080 using Tomcat 4.0.
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseStream.flush(ResponseStream.java:244)
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flush(OutputStreamWriter.java:245)
        at java.io.PrintWriter.flush(PrintWriter.java:120)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseWriter.flush(ResponseWriter.java:125)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseBase.finishResponse(ResponseBase.java:481)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.HttpResponseBase.finishResponse(HttpResponseBase.java:229)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpResponseImpl.finishResponse(HttpResponseImpl.java:288)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.java:1038)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1106)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=568095

How can I read a text file from  JSP page?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=566162

How do i specify Application-level variables in JSP?
I want to do something similar to the global.asa in ASP, where I can specify
application and session variables.
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=566160

How can I read a text file from a JSP page?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=566159

Are global variables in the included file (using &lt;jsp:include/&gt;) available in the file that includes it?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=566158

I have a problem and I'm hoping you can help me.  I have a jsp that's displaying data, which length depends on the user.  It takes up to 10 minutes sometimes to display a page.  I don't want to break my page into multiple pages, but what I want to do is to display line by line on the screen as the data is being read.  What happens now, is the browser waits until all the data is processed and then displays a page.  Any ideas how to do this?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=565046

I want to download files within a client browser from a web server using JSP.
How can I do this?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=563827

++ Servlets FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Servlets

[...]

How can administrator invalidate sessions other than his own?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=567278

Is access to ServletContext and Session attributes thread safe?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=567276

++ Tomcat FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Tomcat

Problem with the makefile of mod_webapp on Solaris.
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=564665

I am running Tomcat as an NT service.<br>
How do I write a command file or a batch file that should run a Java class (or a jar file) and restart the Tomcat service (so that the java class results can take effect)?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=562282

You can shut email notification off at the FAQ home
page(s) or:

  http://www.jguru.com/guru/notifyprefs.jsp