Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com> on 2015/11/16 05:01:35 UTC

StringIndexOutOfBoundsException using spellcheck and synonyms

Hi
Iam using spellcheck and synonyms.I am getting
"java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range:
-1" for some keywords.

I think I managed to narrow down to the likely caused of it.
I have thisline of entry in the synonyms.txt file,

body spray,cologne,parfum,parfume,perfume,purfume,toilette

When I search for 'cologne' it will hit the exception.
If I removed the'body spray' from the line, I will not hit the exception.

cologne,parfum,parfume,perfume,purfume,toilette

It seems like it could be due to multi terms in the synonyms files but
there are some keywords with multi terms in synonyms that does not has
the issue.
This line has a multi term "paint ball" in it, when I search for
paintball or paintballs it does not hit the exception.

paintball,paintballs,paint ball

Any advice how can I resolve this issue?

The field use for spellcheck:
<copyField dest="text" source="P_CategoryName"/>

<field name="text" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="false"
multiValued="true"/>

     <fieldType name="text_general" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100">
       <analyzer type="index">
words="stopwords.txt" />
         <!-- in this example, we will only use synonyms at query time
         <filter class="solr.SynonymFilterFactory"
synonyms="index_synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="false"/>
         -->
       </analyzer>
       <analyzer type="query">
words="stopwords.txt" />
         <filter class="solr.SynonymFilterFactory"
synonyms="synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="true"/>
       </analyzer>
     </fieldType>

Exception stacktrace:
2015-11-16T07:06:43,055 - ERROR [qtp744979286-193443:SolrException@142]
- null:java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of
range: -1
         at
java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.replace(AbstractStringBuilder.java:789)
         at java.lang.StringBuilder.replace(StringBuilder.java:266)
         at
org.apache.solr.spelling.SpellCheckCollator.getCollation(SpellCheckCollator.java:235)
         at
org.apache.solr.spelling.SpellCheckCollator.collate(SpellCheckCollator.java:92)
         at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.SpellCheckComponent.addCollationsToResponse(SpellCheckComponent.java:230)
         at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.SpellCheckComponent.process(SpellCheckComponent.java:197)
         at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(SearchHandler.java:218)
         at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:135)
         at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:1976)
         at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.execute(SolrDispatchFilter.java:777)
         at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:418)
         at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:207)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:577)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:223)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1127)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1061)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:215)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:110)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:310)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:540)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Derek

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete this e-mail (including any attachments) from your computer, and you must not use, disclose to anyone else or copy this e-mail (including any attachments), whether in whole or in part.

This e-mail and any reply to it may be monitored for security, legal, regulatory compliance and/or other appropriate reasons.

Re: StringIndexOutOfBoundsException using spellcheck and synonyms

Posted by Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com>.
Hi

Any advice how to resolve or workaround to this issue?

Posted by Derek Poh <dp...@globalsources.com>.
Hi Scott

Posted by Scott Stults <ss...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Hi Derek,

--
Scott Stults | Founder & Solutions Architect | OpenSource Connections, LLC
http://www.opensourceconnections.com