Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jlc <jo...@lajni.com> on 2002/03/09 09:08:21 UTC

can't enable php in httpd.conf

  I can't make apache work with php, and i say that because i unable to see
the parent directory
 for squirremail when I type my domain.com on the browser. I only see a
whole buch of files, and i think is because i can't able php
 in the httpd.conf . can't find it.

 i running apache 1.3.23, PHP, SQUIRRELMAIL, then I make all of them to work
together

 and follow the instruction from the below document i can't find
	DirectoryIndex: change it to be index.php index.html  in the httpd.conf I
don't know if
 doesn't exist, or something happend in the installation, but I remember
that I saw that entry in previous apaches installations.

      any idea thanks

        this is the configuration I follow, in order to make apache work
with php

Minimalistic configuration
Open /etc/httpd.conf in your favorite editor. Don't be dismayed by the size
of the file or by the abundance of comments - we will only need to change a
few things as default settings will cover most anything. Let's go over the
directives you need to change in the order in which they appear in our
default httpd.conf installation.

Port: The default will be 8080, but you will need to change it to 80
ServerAdmin: dexter@dexterslab.net
ServerName: Make sure this directive is commented out, since we will be
accessing this machine as different domains each time.
DocumentRoot: put ``/home/httpd/squirrelmail''. You will also need to change
the <Directory '/usr/local/apache/htdocs'> to <Directory
'/home/httpd/squirrelmail'>
UseCanonicalName: change to Off
Scroll a while and get to where it says ``AddType application/x-tar .tgz''.
Just above it there should be declarations for PHP. Uncomment the one which
is marked for PHP 4.x. You don't have to enable the ``.phps'' setting, just
the .php.
and my configuration file httpd.conf i can't find the

Re: rights

Posted by Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>.
On 3/12/02 5:00 AM, "Raúl Villa" <sa...@ie3.com> wrote:

> I supose that is to give rwx r-- r-- to all the files. But I have some
> doubts:
>
> - It this the correct way to protect my site?
> - when I access the server from our internal network (Win XP) I have no
> rights to change files. Actually a change rigths in Linux while I do the
> changes, then I protect again.
> - Is there any way to access via Samba as root to change my html, php ....
> files?
> - In my MySQL data directory wich access rights should I put?

You have many questions which have nothing to do with Apache -

The SMB/filesystem questions depend upon whether anyone can access your
system via Samba - if so, then you may have other security concerns.

The main MySQL issue I am wondering is - do you believe that the UID 0 and
MySQL ID 'root' are the same thing?  They are not.  The MySQL system uses a
completely different ID schema for access, just be careful not to use any
admin level access codes/passwords over the public Internet and a standard
MySQL install should be good.

As far as file bits and security go - I always use

 -r--rw---- nobody:www somefile.html
 dr-xrwx--- nobody:www somedirectory

(The x's above on a directory allow it to become 'searchable' - ICYDK :)

That way I can place other people in the WWW group with r/w access without
giving other unneeded access.  This helps keep the system security more
finely controllable.

It is better to lock a system tight, then unlock things as you become aware
of how any given lock works - and only then if you understand why the lock
may be required in the first place...

HTH;
-Sx-  :]

rights

Posted by Raúl Villa <sa...@ie3.com>.
I have created our corporate web site with Suse 7.2, Apache, MySQL, PHP and
OSCommerce (great) but I haven't still hang it on the web. I will do it
soon, but I'm very worry about user rights. Could someone tell me which is
the correct way to do it ?

I supose that is to give rwx r-- r-- to all the files. But I have some
doubts:

- It this the correct way to protect my site?
- when I access the server from our internal network (Win XP) I have no
rights to change files. Actually a change rigths in Linux while I do the
changes, then I protect again.
- Is there any way to access via Samba as root to change my html, php ....
files?
- In my MySQL data directory wich access rights should I put?

Thank you
Raúl Villa

Re: can't enable php in httpd.conf

Posted by RuneImp <ru...@imptech.net>.
Test to see if PHP is running at all. Create a
file named info.php or something similar. Inside
put

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Then access the file from the web. You should get
a page full of information about your PHP
configuration. If you don't then PHP is not
installed properly if at all.

-=- RuneImp
ImpTech - Web Design, Hosting & Computer Tech
http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

Posted by jlc <jo...@lajni.com>.

I can't make apache work with php, and i say that because i unable to see
the parent directory
 for squirremail when I type my domain.com on the browser. I only see a
whole buch of files, and i think is because i can't able php
 in the httpd.conf . can't find it.

 i running apache 1.3.23, PHP, SQUIRRELMAIL, then I make all of them to work
together

 and follow the instruction from the below document i can't find
	DirectoryIndex: change it to be index.php index.html  in the httpd.conf I
don't know if
 doesn't exist, or something happend in the installation, but I remember
that I saw that entry in previous apaches installations.

      any idea thanks

        this is the configuration I follow, in order to make apache work
with php
any body here to help me, this is my 2nd try.