Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/18 09:01:52 UTC

[General]Is there an agreement on different order of throwing Exceptions between RI and Harmony?

I noticed there are many JIRA issues [1] about Exception order. Some of them
were fixed whereas others were marked as non-bug difference.
I wonder which kind of Exception order problem should be fixed, and which
type should be left as non-bug difference.
Is there any agreement? I suggest setting one if not.

[1]
HARMONY-1214
HARMONY-1215
HARMONY-1240
HARMONY-1082
…

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [General]Is there an agreement on different order of throwing Exceptions between RI and Harmony?

Posted by Rui Hu <ro...@gmail.com>.
And, based on the agreement of exception-throwing compability issue,  I
think most those JIRAs can fall into guideline2:"*Follow the Reference
Implementation* "

Because in most situation, the order of throwing Exceptions is not
restricted in spec, and almost any order is reasonable. So we can just
follow RI in most JIRAs. And maybe few special cases need to be discussed.

On 9/18/06, Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tony, we have got an agreement on exception-throwing compability issue[1].
>
> But of course it's always OK to discuss any specific case.
>
> [1]
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.html
>

> On 9/18/06, Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I noticed there are many JIRA issues [1] about Exception order. Some of
> > them
> > were fixed whereas others were marked as non-bug difference.
> > I wonder which kind of Exception order problem should be fixed, and
> which
> > type should be left as non-bug difference.
> > Is there any agreement? I suggest setting one if not.
> >
> > [1]
> > HARMONY-1214
> > HARMONY-1215
> > HARMONY-1240
> > HARMONY-1082
> > …
> >

> > --
> > Tony Wu
> > China Software Development Lab, IBM
> >

> --
> Andrew Zhang
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

--
Robert Hu

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Tony Wu 写道:
> I noticed there are many JIRA issues [1] about Exception order. Some
> of them
> were fixed whereas others were marked as non-bug difference.
> I wonder which kind of Exception order problem should be fixed, and which
> type should be left as non-bug difference.
> Is there any agreement? I suggest setting one if not.
>
> [1]
> HARMONY-1214
> HARMONY-1215
> HARMONY-1240
> HARMONY-1082
> …

But there are cases you can never follow RI on the order of the
exceptions they thrown. I encounter this situation when developing
java.util.Formatter.
So I suggest (*try* :-) ) to follow guide line cited by Andrew. Where
it's impossible, just let it go.

Best regards

--
Spark Shen