Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Stephan Michl <mi...@gmx.de> on 2005/11/22 11:38:09 UTC

webfolder problem

I have problems accessing slide as webfolders via InternetExplorer.

Using the wck I have implemented my own store by extending
BasicWebdavStore. It is bound to the scope /categories.
Additionally the example file store is bound to scope /files.
When using "InternetExplorer - Open - as webfolder" both stores are
behaving correctly as webfolders.
However if I am trying to link to a webfolder in a web page the webdav
folders are displayed as html not as a webfolder.
(using
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/overview/webfolder.asp)
However, opening webfolder in via such a link works when I set the link
to another webdav hosted by a company. (mediacenter.gmx.net).
So this must be a problem of my server.

I have read http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/WebFolderIssues and the
interesting documents on webfolder issues from greenbytes.
To test I am using Windows 2000 SP4  and upgraded the MSDAIPP.DLL
version 11.0.6715.15 to using the Software Update for Web Folders
[KB892211]. <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892211>
I am running slide 2.2 from cvs inside Jboss4.0.2. I am doing
authentication myself by extending AbstractPoolingConnectionManager.

I hope you have an idea what is wrong.

Thanks

Stephan

Re: webfolder problem

Posted by st...@wissel.net.
Hi there,

unfortunately this is not a webDAV issue (both of it) but a system
architecture. Whenever your client OS encounters a url it checks what
handler handles the protocol given (in Windows the registry holds that
value). So http:// will always be handled by the systems browser. And the
browser is not webDAV aware.
When you use IE (for FF you would need a plug-in) you could right-click
and select "Open with". (A friend of mine administrates Microsoft
Sharepoint portal and he says 80% of the support calls are from users who
double clicked instead of right click).

When you use webDAV in an Intranet setting you actually could cheat. We
developed a small C++ helper, that handles a protocol of choice (for
obvious reasons we use webdav:// ). All our links to documents are
webdav://myserver/myfolder/bigdocument.doc. The helper gets launched,
checks in the registry what application is in charge for .doc and launches
"wordprocessor.exe http://myserver/myfolder/bigdocument.doc" Since the
office applications are webDAV aware the file will be handled correctly.

Downside1: You need to do a onetime installation on all clients (we have
an installer).
Downside2: We don't have a Mac or Linux version
Downside3: We haven't published the code yet (will be on sourceforge)

If you are interested let me know.
:-) stw

Re: webfolder problem

Posted by Friso Vrolijken <sl...@vrolijken.nl>.
Hi all,

Re: webfolder problem

Posted by Geoff Howard <ge...@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/05, Stephan Michl <mi...@gmx.de> wrote:
> I have problems accessing slide as webfolders via InternetExplorer.
>
> Using the wck I have implemented my own store by extending
> BasicWebdavStore. It is bound to the scope /categories.
> Additionally the example file store is bound to scope /files.
> When using "InternetExplorer - Open - as webfolder" both stores are
> behaving correctly as webfolders.
> However if I am trying to link to a webfolder in a web page the webdav
> folders are displayed as html not as a webfolder.
> (using
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/overview/webfolder.asp)
> However, opening webfolder in via such a link works when I set the link
> to another webdav hosted by a company. (mediacenter.gmx.net).
> So this must be a problem of my server.

First, are you certain you are using the "behavior" correctly?  The
same link works for the mediacenter site, but not yours?

If so, I think we found that either webfolders, slide, or wck requires
that the whole url path validate in certain ways.  In other words, if
your link is something like: http://myserver.com/root/folder1/folder2/
we found that checks were happening to confirm things like folder1 is
a folder and folder1 has a child that is folder2.  In our case, this
was not actually true (because we had abstracted the uri space to
avoid the need for request parameters) so we had to add code to
interpret those checks and respond appropriately to allow the
validation to pass.

Also, I think we found that any exception in our Store would cause the
same behavior.

> I have read http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/WebFolderIssues and the
> interesting documents on webfolder issues from greenbytes.
> To test I am using Windows 2000 SP4  and upgraded the MSDAIPP.DLL
> version 11.0.6715.15 to using the Software Update for Web Folders
> [KB892211]. <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892211>
> I am running slide 2.2 from cvs inside Jboss4.0.2. I am doing
> authentication myself by extending AbstractPoolingConnectionManager.
>
> I hope you have an idea what is wrong.

HTH,
Geoff