Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Debianito <th...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/02 15:48:36 UTC

Problem using Flush method from PrintWriter class on tomcat5.0.30

Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks in advance for bringing me a bit of your time.

I had an app built using j2se 1.5.0 which, in some part of it some
data must be exchanged by the user with an external resource throw a
browser form (and it takes some time to post the data), so  it
generates a dynamic html that says "On progress". As I already said on
the subject, I'm using /flush/ method from PrintWriter class to
generate this message

Everything worked perfect till I move it to the actual version of
tomcat5 on Debian Testing system, which is 5.0.30-12, on tomcat
5.0.30-10 it stills working.

I paste the most relevant calls just in case you might had have this
problem too:

public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response) throws ServletException, IOException {

response.setContentType("text/html");
PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter(response.getOutputStream());
[...]
out.println(htmlOnProgress);
out.flush();
[the exchange action that takes long goes right here]
[...]

Thanks all in advance,

HaggisMcMutton

Re: Problem using Flush method from PrintWriter class on tomcat5.0.30

Posted by Debianito <th...@gmail.com>.
2006/11/2, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com>:
> > From: Debianito [mailto:the.universal.os@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Problem using Flush method from PrintWriter class on
> > tomcat5.0.30
> >
> > Everything worked perfect till I move it to the actual version of
> > tomcat5 on Debian Testing system, which is 5.0.30-12, on tomcat
> > 5.0.30-10 it stills working.
>
> A sterling example of why you should be very leery of using a 3rd party,
> cobbled up, repackaged version of Tomcat.  There is no "-" number on
> actual Tomcat releases.  You might want to remove the questionable
> versions you have and acquire a proper Tomcat from
> http://tomcat.apache.org.
>
>  - Chuck

Thanks for the advise Chuck, but I can't do that, as I've to keep
using Debian branch packages.

I found that my trouble wasn't Tomcat5, in fact, It still working
great, it's some way between the connector Mod_JK and Apache2.

Did any of you have problems using this method flush or the class
PrintWriter under Apache2+Tomcat5 throw mod_jk ?

Thanks in advance,

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Debianito [mailto:the.universal.os@gmail.com]
> Subject: Problem using Flush method from PrintWriter class on
> tomcat5.0.30
>
> Everything worked perfect till I move it to the actual version of
> tomcat5 on Debian Testing system, which is 5.0.30-12, on tomcat
> 5.0.30-10 it stills working.

A sterling example of why you should be very leery of using a 3rd party,
cobbled up, repackaged version of Tomcat.  There is no "-" number on
actual Tomcat releases.  You might want to remove the questionable
versions you have and acquire a proper Tomcat from
http://tomcat.apache.org.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.