Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Lv...@aol.com on 2000/05/29 00:20:15 UTC

[Tomcat on Win98] Can't Start It ("Invalid ConnectionHandler")

Hello, I just installed the Tomcat 3.1 Binary release build on my Win98 box.
I'm trying to run Tomcat standalone (i.e., not as an extension to another Web
server), but I've got a weird problem.

[My Problem]
Though I've followed the instructions in the Tomcat User Guide (i.e., "How Do
I Install the Binary Version of Tomcat?"), I can't get Tomcat to actually
_run_.  Down below, I've included details on my PC's Java and Tomcat setup.

[Where it Crashes]
It seems that startup.bat invokes tomcat.bat just fine.  However, within
tomcat.bat, the actual Tomcat program crashes shortly after being invoked via
the Java command line interpreter.  In tomcat.bat, I removed the "start"
that's in front of "java org...Tomcat" so that a new MS-DOS window wouldn't
be opened.  I was then able to see where Tomcat was crashing ...

     FATAL:java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
             at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector
.java:133)
             at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(Compiled Code)
             at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:157)
             at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)

[Any ideas?]
I can run all the other Java stuff on my PC, but I can't figure out how to
run Tomcat via the batch files supplied w/ the ZIP distribution.  Anyone have
any ideas on how to fix this?

Thx,

Eric

====================================
[ABOUT MY JAVA SETUP]

I've got JDK v1.2.1 and the JavaServer Web Dev Kit v1.0.1 installed on this
Win98 PC.

     E:\Program Files\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat>java -version
     java version "1.2.1"
     Classic VM (build JDK-1.2.1-A, native threads)

My JDK/JRE/JSWDK install is working just fine---I've been able successfully
run both W3C's Jigsaw v2.x (Java-based Web server) and the lastest release of
LiveSoftware's JRun servlet engine on the same box.  And (of course), I can
compile applets, servlets, JSP, etc. using the JDK, and can run them using
either Jigsaw or JRun.

I've got two "PIF" files set up in Win98 that'll run the startup and shutdown
batch files, respectively.  Those PIF files have 2048KB set for the memory
allocation for the initial environment (i.e., I'm not getting "Out of
environment space" messages).

Here's the TOMCAT_HOME setting I put in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file ...

     rem ---------------------- Tomcat v3.x  ----------------------
     set TOMCAT_HOME=E:\Progra~1\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat

     set PATH=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
     rem ---------------------- Tomcat v3.x  ----------------------

As for my CLASSPATH, you can see below that startup.bat and tomcat.bat
correctly prepend the req'd Tomcat JAR files to my existing CLASSPATH (which
is set earlier in my AUTOEXEC.BAT).

[THE MESSAGES I GET IN THE MS-DOS WINDOW(S)]

E:\Program Files\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat>bin\startup
Starting tomcat in new window
Using classpath:
E:\Progra~1\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\classes;E:\Progra~1\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\li
b\webserver.jar;E:\Progra~1\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\lib\jasper.jar;E:\Progra~1\T
omcat\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar;E:\Progra~1\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\lib\servlet
.jar;d:\progra~1\jdkv121\lib\tools.jar;d:\progra~1\jdkv121\jre\lib\ext\QTJava.
zip;d:\progra~1\Jigsaw\classes\jigsaw.zip;d:\progra~1\Jigsaw\classes\jigadmin.
jar;d:\progra~1\jswdk101\lib\servlet.jar;d:\progra~1\jswdk101\lib\jspengine.ja
r;d:\progra~1\jswdk101\lib\xml.jar;d:\progra~1\jdkv121\lib\tools.jar;e:\ericfe
rg\programs\java\myprogs;.

<<a separate MS-DOS window briefly pops up to run the
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat class via the Java command line interpreter
... a lot of Tomcat startup messages come up ... Tomcat then appears to crash
at this point ...

     FATAL:java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
java.lang.Exception: Invalid ConnectionHandler
             at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector
.java:133)
             at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(Compiled Code)
             at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:157)
             at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:163)

... then the window closes/disappears and I'm returned to the current window
... >>

<<THAT'S IT ... stops running here ... MS-DOS windows shows "Finished" in the
title bar>>

Re: [Tomcat on Win98] Can't Start It ("Invalid ConnectionHandler")

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
LvgZombie@aol.com wrote:

> Hello, I just installed the Tomcat 3.1 Binary release build on my Win98 box.
> I'm trying to run Tomcat standalone (i.e., not as an extension to another Web
> server), but I've got a weird problem.
> [...]
> I've got JDK v1.2.1 and the JavaServer Web Dev Kit v1.0.1 installed on this
> Win98 PC.

Upgrade to JDK 1.2.2 or JDK 1.3; 1.2.1 has bugs that are exposed by Tomcat.
Also, you do not need the JSWDK since Tomcat includes all classes. Uninstall
it to avoid clashes between its older servlet classes and the new ones in
Tomcat.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com