Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org> on 2005/06/14 11:48:38 UTC

how do i get the User-Agent info?

I'm trying to find out the browser issuing the request in my portlet.
Looks like the portlet API provides no way to access the "User-Agent"
HTTP header info. At least, I found none. Is there some way to access
the servlet request? ...or some jetspeed-2 specific (non-JSR168) way to
get this HTTP header?

if all else fails, I'll probably have to solve this with javascript and
that would be... plain ugly.

cheers,
 Edmund

Re: J1.6 Add User (Oracle 9i)

Posted by Jonathan Hawkins <jo...@hawkinsweb.co.uk>.
Is there anyway to find out what sequence is trying to be used.

Thanks

Jon

jonathan.hawkins@hawkinsweb.co.uk wrote:

>I have J1.6 running on Orion against an Oracle 9i Database.
>
>When I try to add a user I get the following :-
>
>Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-02289: sequence does not exist
>        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
>        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTIoer.processError(TTIoer.java:289)
>        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.Oall7.receive(Oall7.java:579)
>        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.doOall7(TTC7Protocol.java:1894)
>        at
>        oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.parseExecuteDescribe(TTC7Protocol.java:831)
>        at
>        oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteQuery(OracleStatement.java:2496)
>        at
>        oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:2840)
>        at
>        oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeQuery(OracleStatement.java:
>

>The following sequqnces exist in the database :-
>
>COFFEES_SEQ
>EMAIL_INBOX_SEQ
>JETSPEED_GROUP_PROFILE_SEQ
>JETSPEED_ROLE_PROFILE_SEQ
>JETSPEED_USER_PROFILE_SEQ
>PORTLET_CATEGORY_SEQ
>PORTLET_MEDIATYPE_SEQ
>PORTLET_PARAMETER_SEQ
>PORTLET_SEQ
>SECURITY_ACCESS_SEQ
>SECURITY_ALLOW_SEQ
>SECURITY_ENTRY_SEQ
>TURBINE_GROUP_SEQ
>TURBINE_PERMISSION_SEQ
>TURBINE_ROLE_PERMISSION_SEQ
>TURBINE_ROLE_SEQ
>TURBINE_USER_GROUP_ROLE_SEQ
>TURBINE_USER_SEQ
>
>I have populated the database using the supplied scripts and I tool the
>jetspeed-torque-om-1.6.jar from www.bluesunrise.com distribution for Oracle.
>
>I have looked at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS1-183 but code
>appears to be ok.
>
>Any Ideas,
>
>Jon

J1.6 Add User (Oracle 9i)

Posted by jo...@hawkinsweb.co.uk.

Re: Clearing render parameters?

Posted by Santiago Urrizola <ch...@yahoo.com.ar>.
Hi, i have the same problem to you, and i still try to fix it but dont have
it.
I want  the psml paints the view page of my porlets every time i call it,
not the previous context.
Its posible to do that ?

Posted by Santiago Urrizola <ch...@yahoo.com.ar>.
Hi to all, i see this fragment of code in the StrutsPorlet class of the
struts bridge M3 Version

            String path = null;
            String pageURL = request.getParameter(StrutsPortletURL.PAGE);
            if (pageURL == null)

I think there ir the problem, becasuse when i link a psml (containing an
struts porlet) from the menu, the variable pageURL still have data, form a
previous call to this portlet... making that the porlet render the same
previous context when they must have render the content for de default page,
(ViewPage, defined in the portlet.xml)
Is this correct or is a bug ?
Is there anybody who see that ??
Thanks a lot

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Santiago Urrizola <ch...@yahoo.com.ar>.
> +1 ... I too am only using the out-of-the-box menu rendering that happens
> in
> the velocity templates ...  Santiago,  do your portlets still appear to be
> using the "last" render parameters when you click directly on a page link?
> I'm curious since you're already using build M3.

Yes, that is exactly wath happens to my.
I lik to a psml page from the left menu, and the j2, render the last request
of the porlet in the psml page.

Posted by Frank Villarreal <f_...@tetco.com>.
Can someone reopen issue JS-231?  I'd do it myself (b/c I need it so bad)
but I don't have write access to JIRA.  This issue appears to still be
broken in release M3.

- Frank

Posted by Frank Villarreal <f_...@tetco.com>.

Posted by Santiago Urrizola <ch...@yahoo.com.ar>.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
This may be another one.

Posted by Santiago Urrizola <ch...@yahoo.com.ar>.

Posted by Frank Villarreal <f_...@tetco.com>.

Posted by Frank Villarreal <f_...@tetco.com>.
Raphael,

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
Frank Villarreal wrote:

>Thanks for the response Edmund.
>
>I do realize what I'm trying to do most likely "breaks" the spec, but I need
>to do it.  All of my portlets are "mini-applications" each and of
>themselves.  Each portlet has multiple pages and states ... however, each
>portlet "starts" at a default state ... on the first rendering with no
>render parameters set.  As users, "progress" through the site ... they click
>around and change the state of portlets.  In order for the menuing system to
>be make any sense ... when a user click a "page link" outside of a portlet
>... then that page should "clear" the previously set render parameters for
>that particular user's session on that page.
>
>Here's an example ...
>
>If you have a Menu link that reads "Home" and represents the "default" page
>for portal, is it not logical that the user should be taken "back" to what
>they first "saw" when they logged-in to the portal instead of the "current
>state" of that default page??? Reason being: the "current state" could be
>several state changes deep into a "maximized" portlet that no longer
>resembles what the user first saw ... therefore they become confused and
>wonder what happened to the "home" page!
>
>It just seems to me that the spec is lacking in this regard.  Unfortunately,
>I can't wait around for the spec to change (if it ever does), so I need to
>customize this ASAP in order to make my site intuitive for my users.
>
>- Frank

If i understand you right, then that "Menu link" you refering to,
is not part of any portlet, but rather a part of the portal's menu.
there is not really any "standard" way to do this, because the
portlet simply never receives any notification, when a portal page
is viewed, where it is not included. the only way to do this would be
to have portlets on ALL the other possible pages that send
notifications (using eg. portlet application context or some
singleton class) to the portlets on the "home" page.

but since that's probably not the way you would want to solve this
problem (i know i wouldn't, unless i had complete control over
all the portlets in the portal), it looks like you'll have to dig into J2
internal APIs and services. i can't help you there. hopefully somebody
else on this list can...

 Edmund

RE: Clearing render parameters?

Posted by Frank Villarreal <f_...@tetco.com>.

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.

Re: how do i get the User-Agent info?

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
Benjamin DAHON wrote:

>You should use :
>portletRequest.getClient().getUserAgent().

i think that's the way you do it with the jetspeed 1.x portlet API. the
PortletRequest class of Sun's JSR-168 Portlet API does not have
getClient() or any similar method.

 Edmund

Re: how do i get the User-Agent info?

Posted by Benjamin DAHON <be...@gmail.com>.
You should use :

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
David Pankros wrote:

>>if (req instanceof HttpServletRequestWrapper) {
>>    HttpServletRequestWrapper
>>reqWrapper=(HttpServletRequestWrapper)req;
>>    ServletRequest servletReq=reqWrapper.getRequest();
>>    if (servletReq instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
>>        HttpServletRequest
>>httpServletReq=(HttpServletRequest)servletReq;
>>        String userAgent=httpServletReq.getHeader("User-Agent");
>>    }
>>}
>>

>FYI, for correctness, you may want to change that.  All you really care
>about is that the request is an HttpServletRequest.  The wrapper is just
>a convenience class.  There is nothing forcing an implementation to use
>the HttpServletRequestWrapper.  They could write their own
>implementation from scratch only implementing HttpServletRequest and not
>extending the wrapper, which would cause your code to miss the fact that
>HttpServletRequest is actually implemented!  With that, you can get rid
>of your outer "if" check and go straight to the HttpServletRequest
>check.
>
>If you only plan on using JS2, then it's not a big deal (other than the
>extra casts and thus the extra work that would be incurred), but if you
>support other environments, I'd definitely change it.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Dave

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I should have figured that out myself
(if only
I had taken the time to take a closer look at the servlet API).

 Edmund

RE: how do i get the User-Agent info?

Posted by David Pankros <dp...@miragy.com>.

Posted by Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org>.
James Liao wrote:

>On 6/14/05, Edmund Urbani <em...@liland.org> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to find out the browser issuing the request in my portlet.
>>Looks like the portlet API provides no way to access the "User-Agent"
>>HTTP header info. At least, I found none. Is there some way to access
>>the servlet request? ...or some jetspeed-2 specific (non-JSR168) way to
>>get this HTTP header?
>>
>>if all else fails, I'll probably have to solve this with javascript and
>>that would be... plain ugly.
>>
>>cheers,
>>Edmund
>>

>Hi,
>You should try this in your portlet code.
>HttpServletRequest sss = (HttpServletRequest)((HttpServletRequestWrapper)
>request).getRequest();
>sss.getHeader("User-Agent");
>
>or you can import a jetspeed2 service named ServletContextProvider into your
>portlet, then you can get HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse and
>ServletContext from it.
>
>-James Liao

the first solution seems to work fine. i'm doing checks with
'instanceof' to be on the safe side here. so it's actually been bloated
to about this:

if (req instanceof HttpServletRequestWrapper) {
    HttpServletRequestWrapper reqWrapper=(HttpServletRequestWrapper)req;
    ServletRequest servletReq=reqWrapper.getRequest();
    if (servletReq instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
        HttpServletRequest httpServletReq=(HttpServletRequest)servletReq;
        String userAgent=httpServletReq.getHeader("User-Agent");
    }
}

that should do nicely. thanks a lot!

cheers,