Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/04 04:55:27 UTC

use of "reserved" URI's in Forrest

I just noticed how we are doing the pluginDocs.  Having an app-wide
"reserved" or "special" URI does not seem clean to me.  My initial
reaction is that we should keep them to a very minimum for "system"
things that can be turned off (e.g. "profiler.html") as opposed to
docs.

Is there a reason why we use the app sitemap for pluginDocs instead of
using the sample project sitemap and site-author sitemaps as needed?

--tim

Re: use of "reserved" URI's in Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> I just noticed how we are doing the pluginDocs.  Having an app-wide
> "reserved" or "special" URI does not seem clean to me.  My initial
> reaction is that we should keep them to a very minimum for "system"
> things that can be turned off (e.g. "profiler.html") as opposed to
> docs.
>
> Is there a reason why we use the app sitemap for pluginDocs instead of
> using the sample project sitemap and site-author sitemaps as needed?

It was a hack as we urgently needed to get the docs
happening just before the last release.

Less use of reserved names, the better. There is a Jira
issue about some existing cases (changes, howto-*, etc.).

-David

Re: use of "reserved" URI's in Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> If you see a better way please suggest it here and we'll let you know if
> it will work.

Or Just Do It. Remember Thorsten's efficiency drive.

-David

Re: use of "reserved" URI's in Forrest

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> I just noticed how we are doing the pluginDocs.  Having an app-wide
> "reserved" or "special" URI does not seem clean to me.  My initial
> reaction is that we should keep them to a very minimum for "system"
> things that can be turned off (e.g. "profiler.html") as opposed to
> docs.
>
> Is there a reason why we use the app sitemap for pluginDocs instead of
> using the sample project sitemap and site-author sitemaps as needed?

I t was a quick hack to ge the docs fixed for the release. I'm not sure
if you were around at the time but David and Ferdinand had to pull an
all night Europe/Australis session to make the docs even remotely work.

I can't remember exactly how it was done (I did the plugin docs
generation according to their need as a result of the all nighter). I'll
try and have a look ASAP, but can't do so now.

If you see a better way please suggest it here and we'll let you know if
it will work.

(HINT solutions with the locationmap were *not* considered since it was
still in a branch at that stage - one of the main drivers for the
locationmap was to prevent the need for reserved URI's)

Ross