Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Mark D Weitzel <we...@us.ibm.com> on 2010/06/01 14:56:14 UTC

Re: activitystreams vs activity?

Franck,

Please keep in mind several things regarding activity streams:
* ActivityStrea.ms is a work in progress. It has not released any stable
version of a spec.
* There are IP concerns around the specification that is being developed.
It's unclear, for example, if everyone that has contributed to
ActivityStrea.ms has agreed to a non-assert. Further, it's not clear if
what they, as individuals are doing, is binding to the organization to
which they work. It's possible, then, for activity streams to be
implemented and a company who employes a person that worked on activity
streams, e.g. Google, Microsoft, Facebook, to assert a patent.

The motivation for doing an emerging prototype in OpenSocial and Shindig
is to understand how the current activities and activity streams line up,
to ensure we can describe any issues that we uncover back to that working
group, and to provide an example implementation for interop. At this
point, given the concerns above, I would not recommend building off of
Activity Streams. I'd recommend that you start with Activities. Then, at
some point in the future, when the spec incorporates activity streams, the
move should be easy.

-Mark W.

From:
franck tankoua <ft...@gmail.com>
To:
dev@shindig.apache.org
Date:
05/29/2010 03:07 PM
Subject:
activitystreams vs activity?

Hi All,

I just saw the new ActivityStream implementation and I am willing to use
that since it matches more what I would expect from an activity.
When Designing my Database I wanted to use attributes like "target" ,
"object" , "verb" etc.

I wanted to know if you think I will be wrong trying to get rid of
Activity
to adopt only the activityStream?

Regards

--
Franck

Re: activitystreams vs activity?

Posted by franck tankoua <ft...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mark.

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I think I will stick to my current design with
Activities then.

Regards

--
Franck